Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sexual Mythology (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sexual Mythology
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, there have been documented reports in the medical literature of people (mostly women) who had involuntary orgasms when they sneezed, and also some who had involuntary orgasms when they yawned. Pretty fascinating, but no one is sure why this happened to those people.

Me, I just keep sneezing and yawning... and nothing else ever happens!

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HalphPint
Neophyte
Member # 1567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HalphPint     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is stupid but I just thought I'd share it. When I was a kid (like 5-7) I used to think that cats and dogs had sex with each other (the cat being the female and the dog being the male) and gave birth to kittens and puppies in one litter. Don't know where it came from, but I just thought that was the way it went.
Posts: 3 | From: Oxford, FL U.S. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberbaby
Neophyte
Member # 1810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told that a guy can always tell if a girl is a virgin, because it hurts guys to have sex with virgins because they are so tight. And I was also told that losing your virginity makes you walk funny for three days after. This stuff isnt true, right?

-Amber

Posts: 3 | From: Lebanon, IL USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dingdingdingding! You're absolutely right, Amber. None of that stuff is true. For more on virginity, try our Sex Basics section -- just go to www.scarleteen.com/pink and click on Sex Basics.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nurseman
Neophyte
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nurseman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The book "Everything you ever wanted to know about sex*" (*but were afraid to ask) is FULL of sexual myths. (Including the one about using coke as a contraceptive)

My favorite myth: You can't get pregnant if you do it in the water. (lake, ocean, ect.)

By the way: Hi everybody, its nice to be here.

[This message has been edited by Nurseman (edited 31 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Nurseman (edited 31 October 2000).]

Posts: 10 | From: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygurl
Activist
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shygurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just thought that this sneezign thing having soe conection to orgasms was pretty far fetched. Maybe it just makes you have some sort of contraction dowon there and feels like an orgasm, who know??
Posts: 47 | From: BFE | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AtashiWaAtashi
Neophyte
Member # 6706

Icon 10 posted      Profile for AtashiWaAtashi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One that I heard in junior high was "Non-virgins have crooked spines"
I'm also surprised noone mentioned anything about going blind...

------------------
"Why are we walking like this?"

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some people I would usually consider very smart say that it's impossible to have an STD if you're a virgin, and that you can't catch HIV if you give oral sex to someone who has the virus.

Gah...

Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, so glad this topic is back because another myth popped into my head last night.

Fat women will "crush" or somehow suffocate their partners.

I've heard this one, although never from any of my sex partners (well, if someone ever said that to me, they certainly wouldn't get a chance to find out). Last night I was hanging out with a friend (who I am also sexually involved with, and maybe that added to the fear), and there was nowhere to sit but his lap. He's smaller than me, and I had this really intense fear that I would somehow hurt him, even with my weight distributed evenly. I ended up sitting in his lap, and kept asking for reassurance that he was okay, and eventually he just said, "Darling, it actually feels really HOT to have you sitting on my lap." That shut me up quite effectively. Yay for busting myths.

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DP

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 01-24-2002).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Nurseman, I just found the sequal to that book ('Any Woman Can*!'), and it's just as bad. If there's an asterisk after the title of a sex book, don't believe it. I just remember that 'Everything . . .' had whole chapters on how homosexual men like to stick random stuff up their butts (lightbulbs?!), and lesbians are just sick freaks who don't get sex, and are likely to be prostitutes. Scary.

------------------
In the past this information has been supressed, but now it can be told: Every man, woman, and mutant on this planet shall know the truth about de-evolution.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey PoetGirlie,

The lovely and wonderful Hanne has a whole section devoted to crushing/smothering and the like in her Big Big Love book -- so, if you wanna check it out, she does some serious myth-busting there.

Erin, who interned on that book and learned a lot

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaureanRomancer
Neophyte
Member # 6057

Icon 8 posted      Profile for TaureanRomancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first of all i would like to share my myth. That fellatio can cause the growth of a foetus in the throat. GIVE ME A BREAK! thats so far fetched, and of course if you're practicing safe sex then there should be no sperm in the throat anyway........tut tut.

Also i would like to point out that silly 'rule' that guys are studs if they sleep around and that its ok for us and girls are sluts and are outcasts if they do.
I have never engaged in sexual encounters unless with a girlfriend. I have NEVER cheated, although many boys think this is acceptable too? it appear that feminism may have gone to the other extreme. I have been cheated on by my last two girlfriends and my last girlfriend did this FIVE times...... just a warning to EVERYONE.... male or female, cheating is wrong. and just cause some guys do it, doesnt mean we all do.

------------------
"Life is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistant one." - Albert Einstein.

Posts: 12 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I know. I have it, I read it. Since I don't actually weigh all that much, and wasn't very sexually active at the time I last read it, it didn't really occur to me to pay attention to that section. Ironically, I feel more nervous about crushing men than women, and more sitting on someone's lap than lying on top of them. I guess that part makes sense, because there's less area for the weight to be distributed over. I know it's irrational, but it's still been there for a long time, and having this super-supportive guy who thinks I'm really hot is way helpful of course

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaureanRomancer
Neophyte
Member # 6057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TaureanRomancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also guys, RE the sneeze to orgasm connection? It is said that 10 sneezes contains the equivalent amount of endorphins released during orgasm. THIS, however, doesnt mean sneezing ten times will cause you to have muscular spasm and/or ejaculate.
just FYI.

------------------
"Life is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistant one." - Albert Einstein.

Posts: 12 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeno
Neophyte
Member # 5125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's of course the extensive Urban Legends list devoted to sex... Most of them unharmful, and hilariously funny.
Posts: 8 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the sneeze/orgasm thing - I think I may actually know how this myth originated.

At least one sex educator has used sneezing as a metaphor for how orgasms work - you get a particular kind of stimulation, the tension builds and builds and builds and then your body takes over and you get this involuntary reflex of release.

What this doesn't mean, of course, is that sneezes and orgasms are in any way connected, or that an orgasm feels like a sneeze, or that sneezes make you orgasm, or whatever other myths it's been garbled into .

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirenRose
Activist
Member # 8384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirenRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
heh. amazing how uneducated some teens are. ehe. well the myth i hate is, "big hands, big feet, large..." and "if u have sex in the water u won't get pregnant cuz the water rinses the semen out" OY VEY! now that isn't true at all.

------------------
later rox.
shorter signature, yes?

Posts: 138 | From: ur dreams | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SirenRose:
heh. amazing how uneducated some teens are. ehe.

as a teen,
I would just like to say that it's not just teens that are uneducated about sex, some adults can be just as clueless as teens.

It's not all that fair to make a generalization that teens know nothing about sex, and older people know all.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggish
Activist
Member # 6370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE the sneeze/orgasm thing: interestingly, I remember commenting to my partner after experiencing my first orgasm that it kinda felt like a really intense sneeze. (like, "aah, aaah, aaah, choo!!") I was always under the impression that everyone experiences an orgasm in their own unique way, so perhaps a sneeze being 1/4th of an orgasm isn't entirely wrong...who knows? Is there even a way to find out?

------------------
~*frog*~

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're gonna laugh at these!!
These are a few I heard at school - some 15 year olds really believe these will work!

"Putting elastic bands/sellotape round your penis during sex will stop the girl getting pregnant"
"Apple juice/cherryade/ribena kills sperm"
"If a girl goes for a pee after sex she won't get pregnant"

No wonder Britain has the highest teen pregnancy rate in Europe!

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TaureanRomancer:
That fellatio can cause the growth of a foetus in the throat. GIVE ME A BREAK!

I'd have to say that's about the strangest myth I've ever heard! Some of the things people come up with..

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirenRose
Activist
Member # 8384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirenRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
Originally posted by celery:
as a teen,
I would just like to say that it's not just teens that are uneducated about sex, some adults can be just as clueless as teens.

It's not all that fair to make a generalization that teens know nothing about sex, and older people know all.

i was just saying that "some" teens are uneducated...i didn't generalize the entire teenage community. i only said some, and in no way..was i insulting you, or any teen on scarleteen...just that they are uneducated teens out there. i understand that there are even adults out there who uneducated. and i apologize for making it seem like i was insluting you..or me..since i am a teen, myself

------------------
later rox.
shorter signature, yes?

Posts: 138 | From: ur dreams | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SweetBeyond
Activist
Member # 3250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetBeyond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sneezing issue is quite interesting. Personally, I've heard that tickling that sensitive spot on the sides of your leg near your knee is the equivalency of 1/10 of an orgasm. I mean duh, tickling 10 times won't make you have an orgasm, but it is certainly interesting and a conversation starter!
Posts: 63 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"you cant gte pregnaunt if.." myths

It's your first time;
If you're both virgins;
When the girl is having her period;
If the guy pulls out before he ejaculates or if he doesn't go all the way in;
If you have sex in a pool or hot tub;
If the girl douches with coca-cola after sex;
If the girl douches with vinegar after sex;
If both partners don't orgasm at the same time;
If the girl jumps up and down after sex (to get all the sperm out);
If the girl pushes really hard on her belly button after sex;
If the girl takes a shower or bath right away;
If the girl is on top during sex;
If the girl takes aspirin and drinks a coke after sex; or
If the girl makes herself sneeze for fifteen minutes after sex
If a guy drinks 3 moutain dews a day he will have killed his sperm count for that day, thus can not get a girlie preggo
If a guy smokes a lot of majurania he is less likey to get you pregnant because pot weakens sperm. I think whoever thought that one up had to be super high! It seems as if those who smoke a lot of majurania are the most fertile people in the world.

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If a guy smokes a lot of majurania he is less likey to get you pregnant because pot weakens sperm. I think whoever thought that one up had to be super high! It seems as if those who smoke a lot of majurania are the most fertile people in the world.

Actually, there is some scientific evidence that long-term marijuana smoking (like cigarette smoking) can reduce fertility.

Needless to say, this doesn't mean that it's a good idea to use this as a contraceptive method!

(Not to mention the fact that a) it's illegal; and b) mixing drugs - or alcohol - and sex is generally a bad, bad idea).

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 06-11-2002).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just copied it from an old board that no one even uses anymore. i was kinda iffy about posting that one.

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lil'Lin
Neophyte
Member # 8007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil'Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't exactly SEX related but it is a sexually related topic but when I was young, and my friends and I were just starting to hear about sex and all those giggly little terms we went through like so many different meanings for the term "horny".
First we thought it meant gay, but rumours twisted it some more and eventually it meant you had had sex before, like a non-virgin. So you'd hear kids going, "My mom's horny!" Because they believed it meant that she'd had sex before and of coruse we knew you had to have sex to have children (although we weren't exactly sure how sex worked, we just knew that you were naked while doing it... )
That's my little addition, kind of humourous really.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theduck
Neophyte
Member # 8691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theduck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. A really common one is that sex is always great. ALWAYS. Which is crazy.
Posts: 12 | From: ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

And today's myth is that you can tell by looking if someone has an STI (sort of like Hanne said earlier). If having an STI meant that the carrier had virulent green genitals or something equally obvious chances are they'd be much, much less common. Also . . ..

Body hair is gross, especially pubic hair.
Ha, not true at all. Having hair is no more disgusting than having elbows, and every bit as natural. Different people like different things, but there's nothing disgusting about the bodies we live in.

------------------
Why can't you have your cake and eat it too?
Why believe in things that make it tough on you?
Why scream and cry when you know it's through?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 05-03-2003).]

Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You can only get TSS if you put your tampon in the wrong way."

I just about choked when my friend told me that. Where do people come up with or hear these things, and why are they so gullable to believe it?

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friends said you can tell if a girl has had intercourse by having her put your legs together and if they aren't perfectly together then she has. Which is totally untrue!

And that a girl gets loose after intercourse a few times.

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eonone
Neophyte
Member # 13596

Icon 8 posted      Profile for eonone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one misconception about sex I hate the most is when parents freak out about schools giving out condoms. Just because I have a brand new condom doesn't mean I want to go try it out. It's not a hairbrush for goodness sake! Then they are surprised when statistics show more kids aren't sexually active. Duh.

------------------
"Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This Bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy." --Homer Simpson

Posts: 24 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PsychoGirl
Activist
Member # 10602

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PsychoGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One myth I have heard is that drinking Mountain Dew kills sperm/lowers sperm count... I laughed, teehee!
Posts: 85 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people assume that if you get any girl drunk enough they'll become lesbian.
Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.