Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Oral sex, condoms and coldsores

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral sex, condoms and coldsores
nyam
Neophyte
Member # 147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am prone to cold sores, does this mean that my partener will always have to wear a condom during oral sex even if monogamous and free from any STDs? I understand that it would definitely be needed when I have or am developing a coldsore but what about inbetween them?

nyam

Posts: 16 | From: ,Manitoba,Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per usual, the question is, do you know you are free from STDs because you have both been tested? If not, then you do NOT know that.

The type of Herpes that is on the mouth (simplex-1) is not the same type as gential Herpes (simplex-2), but either type can infect either area.

That given, you should indeed be using a condom when you even suspect you MIGHT be getting a sore. Transmission can only occur when a sore is active, but that time period starts when the sore is first developping, before it is obviously there, and ends when it is COMPLETELY healed. If you are aware of these cycles well enough to feel you can accurately tell when they are, a condom is not absolutely neccessary, but personally, I'd advise it.

Why take that sort of a risk? Condoms are easy to use, and Herpes isn't the only thing out there to worry about.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.