Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » I broke my hymen, but i'm still a virgin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I broke my hymen, but i'm still a virgin
DeeLeisha
Neophyte
Member # 1002

Icon 4 posted      Profile for DeeLeisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, i'm 15 and i'm a virgin, but I have been fingered by members of the same and opposite sex.How can i be totally sure if my hymen is broken? Because I know the hymen is broken when you lose your virginity, but for some reason I think mine is already. If my hymen is already broken will it make sex less painful for my first time?
Posts: 2 | From: Laredo, TX | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to be honest with you: this question -- exactly -- has been asked and explained so many times that when I go to sleep, I silently curse the idiot man who came up with the whole concept of virginity. I really do.

Long, long ago, before modern science when we understood how women's bodies worked, people thought that the hymen had something to do with intercourse and a woman's chastity. We have known for some time that that isn't so. The hymen doesn't break, nor does it rip. From birth -- if you even have one, many owmen do not -- it slowly erodes over time, and more so when you use tampons or perform some semblance of physical activity. Most young women aren't going to be breaking a hymen during first intercourse, unless they (there are about 1 in 200 like this) have one that didn't erode properly, in which case a doctor needs to fix that, or unless they have never moved a muscle in their lives. Intercourse, manual sex ("fingering") masturbation and the like can stretch those tissues more. Some women have pain during first intercourse because it gets stretched a bit more harshly than they're used to, or because they aren't well lubricated.

but none of that has squat to do with virginity, which isn't a medical iissue. Virginity is something long ago that someone came up with in order to make some new brides more valuable than others, thus procuring their family greater land and income when marrying off their daughters. Whether you consider yourself a virgin or not (and it is commonly defined as first having intercourse or penetration) is up to you. period. There is no clinical definition because it is an archaic cultural term, not a medical one.

You're better to throw it the heck away and stop using it, if you ask me, because it only demeans people, unless you like to think of yourself as property upon which a price can be put.

If, like most active women, your hymen is a bit more strteched, and if you're adequately lubricated, intercourse really isn't all that painful, and if it is, something is up (like you weren't aroused enough first, you aren't using lube, your partner is an oaf, you've had past sexual trauma, or you have a hymen that aa doctor needs to look at).

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more thing.

We have an extensive article about virginity (what it means and what it doesn't) here: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/virginity.html

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeLeisha
Neophyte
Member # 1002

Icon 12 posted      Profile for DeeLeisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Miz Scarlet for clearing this up for me, I have been completely misinformed about this, and I really wish teachers would cover this in sex-ed. Thanks a bunch ;}
Posts: 2 | From: Laredo, TX | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

You and me both, Dee.

You know, you guys are always more than welcome to print out ANY of our articles and bring them to your sex ed classes or teachers. More times than not, those teachers operate from a set curriculum, and have learned the curriculum, and have their own experiences to add, but may not know other things.

Any good sex ed teacher (and many of them are) is going to be interested in what their STUDENTS want to know.

Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I will...

"*ahem*

The Miracle of Masturbation
by Heather Corinna"

I'd do it, too.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.