Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » what is tantric?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what is tantric?
papillon
Neophyte
Member # 939

Icon 5 posted      Profile for papillon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I'm not sure if this is appropriate here or not. How is tantric sex different from any other kind? One of my friends mentioned it, but I didnt want to ask her.
Posts: 7 | From: oregon | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When used in western societies, the term Tantra usually means something like "sacred sexuality". It comes from the Indian Church of Tantra which, in its origins about 20,000 years ago, began with fertility worship, which led to sex being held as something sacred, rather than shameful as it is often seen today. Tantric sex means sex that is seen as participation in a part of the cosmic and divine, as it embodies the coming together of the God and the Godess or Shiva and Shakti, into the ultimate unity. People practicing Tantric sex might engage in practices like synchonised breathing in order to enhance their unity.

That's a rather simplistic overview that doesn't really go very deeply into the philosophies that lie behind Tantra. I've read up about it a bit on the net, but I don't want to post the URL here because it's probably not legal for most of the teenagers here to view the site.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of Tantra, but only for the technique since I'm not very spiritual.

There's a lot of Tantra sites out there, so if you do a search, you can find some good ones.

J.

------------------
"Her laugh turned to a moan at the first ripple in her bones.
She tensed her thighs and abdomen to will the change on, and
clutched the night air like a lover as her fingers lengthened
and her nails sprouted...The night, she thought, the sweet night"

Posts: 87 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
about what WildChica said eons ago.

imho, she's missing the point. I mean, you don't become a christian because you like getting christmas gifts. Likewise, imho you shouldn't be into ritualistic sex because it gets your rocks off. Spiritual sex is about the integration of mind, body and soul to create a bond between you, yourpartner and the universe. Yeah, that sounds to hippie-new-agey, but that's what this particular sect of Buddhists had in mind when they came up with tantra.

Maybe the slight offense is personal. I'm a Buddhist, and though I'm not Tantric, I cringe to see someone exploiting the traditions of a a sect of people for their own worldy gain. It contradicts Buddhism, which states that life isn't about momentary and (imho) shallow pleasures.

anyway, I'm actually heading off to temple, so umm chew on those thoughts for a while...

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sugar'n'spice
Neophyte
Member # 7353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sugar'n'spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I give any one m y email could you send me some tantric sites. I tried to search, but all I got was sites that wanted you to buy the kit to tell you how.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one but Advocates and Sexperts is permitted to post their e-mail address here, and absolutely no one is allowed giving links to adult information in any way, so no, sugar.

------------------
Why scream and cry when you know it's true?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey sorry i know this doesnt really have anything to do with this topic,its just something i saw Gumdrop Girl write in her reply, but i didnt know if i should start a new one just for this question, but Gumdrop Girl said "imho" and does that stand for something or what? ive seen many people write that and i am confused. once again sorry if you arent supposed to ask stuff like this if it isnt really related.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"imho" means "in my humble opinion". If you are unsure of an abbreviation's meaning, you can usually find the definition by searching
Google for "abbreviation, [insert abbreviation here]"

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theduck
Neophyte
Member # 8691

Icon 12 posted      Profile for theduck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe. Tantric is a band.
Posts: 12 | From: ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.