Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Gonorrhea on the Rise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gonorrhea on the Rise
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A CDC report was released today, which showed the following:

"From 1997 to 1998, the gonorrhea rate increased by 16% in the Midwest,
9% in the South, 7% in the West, and 0.8% in the Northeast (in the United States).

From 1996 to 1998, Idaho, Iowa, Mississippi, North Dakota, and Texas
reported increased gonorrhea rates greater than 10%"

and...

"From 1997 to 1998, the gonorrhea rate increased 11% among women and 7%
among men. In 1998, the gonorrhea rate among young women, aged 15 to 19,
and young men, aged 20 to 24, increased by 11%."

This is the second study lately showing that rising rates in sexually transmitted disease are mainly amoung young women.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet, how many people do you think that means have gonorrhea? A USA approximate is fine.

I am guessing it is on the rise because people still aren't using condoms and other safe sex measures and they are spreading it to their parnters. It is scary because most people who have STD's don't even know it.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the high school where I used to teach (small, rural, conservative district) the administration made the biology teacher stop giving out condoms. She wasn't leaving buckets of them in the hall, mind you, she kept a stash in her desk and kids had to ask her for them. Probably the only reason she wasn't fired was that she had been there forever, had tenure, and was well-respected in the community.

This same district didn't teach sex ed until 9th grade. No wonder we had at least 2-4 girls (out of a total student population of 350 students) pregnant every year. I cringe when I think of what their STD infection rate must be.

I gave a talk on date rape to one of the classes there once. One of the guys said, "You mean you're supposed to TALK about sex? No way, man! Jeez, that's too embarassing!"

I just thought of all that when I read in your post that the Midwest leads in gonorrhea. How depressing.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think too, Lady (and Bettie, I'll have to pull up some data for those figures...gimme a bit), there is still the overriding assumption that people with sexually transmitted diseases are:
- homosexual or promiscuous
- drug users
- urban or ignorant

We had new neighbors move in downstairs, and as you can imagine, what I do for a living, when it comes up, usually ends up resulting in people asking me sex questions. Anyway, the two guys downstairs are typical recent college grads. They just moved to the city here from the suburbs, and one of them has never been tested for STDs, even though, as he told me, he only uses condoms for the first few times he is with someone.

Why? As he said it to me he has "never slept with dirty girls."

Too many people assume that someone who looks clean and well-kempt is therefore well, which isn't a good way to guess when it comes to STDs since most of them don't have obvious symptoms, and more times than not, it is those people who are LESS sexually experienced who both don't get tested and who don't practice safely.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Why? As he said it to me he has "never slept with dirty girls."

Too many people assume that someone who looks clean and well-kempt is therefore well, which isn't a good way to guess when it comes to STDs since most of them don't have obvious symptoms, and more times than not, it is those people who are LESS sexually experienced who both don't get tested and who don't practice safely.

*Shakes head in dismay*

All I've got to say is that if he can see right down to all those itty-bitty germs he's got better eyesight than me.

Yikes.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

::cringe::

Gawd, I hate it when I do an insanely long run-on sentence and it ends up being one that gets quoted.

I hang my linguistically-muddled head in shame, I tell you.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.