Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » The Morning After Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Morning After Pill
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know what other people's experiences were with using emergency contraception.

This is mine:

One morning, the condom failed. I panicked. I had been taking the Pill for only two days, not nearly long enough for it to be effective.

So I had to go to University Health Services to get emergency contraception. It's available by prescription only in the US. I did not know this, and waited in the pharmacy line for half an hour before they shuffled me over to Urgent Care. I waited for an hour, and started crying because I was scared. Then I sat in a cold examination room for half an hour before the nurse practitioner came and had a talk with me. She gave me a prescription for Preven«. I went back to the Pharmacy and got my pills.

I took them the next day, and they made me so nauseous! I already had a lot on my mind with midterms and all. I ran out of my professor's office and puked. This was all very, very unpleasant. I don't ever want it to happen again. But I didn't get pregnant. That's the only good thing about it.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0dd1
Neophyte
Member # 429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0dd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well heres the way my experience went:

my boyfriend lives in boston and i live in cleveland. when we do see eachother, just enjoying eachothers company takes presedence over sexual activities. so id rather not put extra hormones in my body daily when its not needed. so he came here on a saturday, to make a long story short we ended up having sex, the condom broke and we didnt realize till it was all over. planned parenthood was closed the next day and i didnt know where else to go, so i waited 2 days to get the pills. i called pp and they told me that since im not a regular patient i would have to make an appointment, and that i could not do so for another week. i stressed the urgency of the matter, but they still said i couldnt get in for a week. i was crying to much to argue. my boyfriend, who is now my fiance, called and talked to them for about 20 min and fianlly got me an appointment that day. thank god. he was so sweet and i love him for it. they gave me Plan B. I didnt really experience any side effects, nor did i get pregnant.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't count on it! My friend knows a girl who took that morning after pill, and she still became pregnant! The best thing to do is to really be super careful when using condoms.
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SexY GirL 24
Neophyte
Member # 230

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SexY GirL 24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have pretty much the same story! me and my boyfreind were fooling around and we ended up haveing sex( we have sex like every other day) and the condom broke, (earlier that week me and my best freind were looking through my moms and dads things just to see if they had condoms and stuff liek that and they DID, plus those plan B pills !) anyway me and my boyfriend went and i took one of those emidentally and it made me really sick and nausise too, totally discausting but it made me so i wasnt pregnant. thank goodness so it was all worth it ! and i told my mom about it and so she said she was going to put me on birth control but we never really got around to it (dont ask me why) and me and my boyfreind where fooling around AGIAN (like 1 month later) and we promised we would be carful this time til i got on birth control. well he just had to get the THIN kind cuz he claims it fills a lot better then the thick ones, and it broke agian!! so the next day we went down to the planned parent hood, and i just had to fill out this paper and go into this room and she asked me ?'s like when my last piriod was and if i have had unprotected sex through that last month so i could have a pregnancy test and all that stuff, she also said that they were only 75-80% affective depends on what part of the cycle i was in, well anyway she gave me the pills and i took them and i didnt get really sick this time and they worked agian, and now i am on birth control so i warn all you people that are sexually active PLEASE get on some kind of birth control!!!!!

Posts: 12 | From: logan,utah,usa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken ECPs on 2 occassions... look at that, I don't even call them "emergency contraceptive pills" anymore, I say "ECPs" like all the nurses at the clinic. Well anyway, I had sex for the first time, with a condom, but I was totally paranoid, so I made an appointment at a PP clinic the next day. They gave me Plan B... I didn't have any side effects at all. The nurse asked me if I wanted to get on BC pills but I said maybe later. The next incident was 2 weeks later, my boyfriend pulled out but he forgot to hold on to the condom and it became this huge mess so I called the clinic again and made an appt for the next morning, I felt like the biggest idiot walking back in there. They gave me Plan B again, and I opted for BC pills also. You're supposed to take ECPs as soon as possible so I took them as I was driving home and I thought I dropped the pill.. I didn't know if I swallowed it because it is so small but I guess I did. I got my period 6 days later
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.