Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Can the pill cause you to be infertial????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can the pill cause you to be infertial????
Jon_E_Girl
Neophyte
Member # 536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon_E_Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that if you take the pill for a long period of time it can cause you to be infertial(that's probably not spelled right). But I've been taking it for almost 3 years and I really do not want to take it anymore if someday I won't be able to have a baby. I also heard that the pill can cause one's sex drive to go way down hill. Should I be concerned about these???? Are these true or not??? I would really like to know. Thanx
Posts: 9 | From: WI | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking the pill won't make you infertile.. you don't have to worry about that.

Things which can happen:

**if you are a smoker, you could develop blood clots..
**you might not though, you could just get cancer!
**you might gain weight
**you might lose weight
**you could lose your libido
**you could get really horny

It differs between people, and sometimes depends what type of pill you are on (ie 2nd or 3rd generation, progesteron only..) if you have serious worries talk to your GP, also read the little booklet that comes with your pill in the box, it has FAQ on there which might answer specific questions about the pill you are on at the moment..

entropie

------------------
***DISCLAIMER*** All advice received from me should be used at YOUR OWN RISK. I am in no way responsible for the advice that I give. I only give my opinions to the situation. It is up to you to do what you feel is the right thing.

[This message has been edited by entropie (edited July 19, 2000).]

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Entropie, you are on the money again!

Taking the Pill cannot make you or anyone infertile. Most women who are on the Pill become pregnant as easily as women who have never taken it, once they have been off the Pill for several months.

Occasionally, women go on the Pill without knowing that they already may have an infertility problem or a disorder which may make conception less easy or likely. They may not find out about these things until later, when they are off the Pill and trying to get pregnant.

But the Pill itself won't cause infertility. If it did, you'd only have to take it for a few years, then you'd never have to worry about it again, right? And that's simply not the way it works.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.