Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » toxic shock syndrome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: toxic shock syndrome
Krissie
Neophyte
Member # 442

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Krissie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently watched a show on tv about Toxic shock syndrome. It really freaked me out, seeings how i'm a strong tampon user. Well i don't know what to do anymore. i freaked otu abotu it. I stayed up that nigth till 4:30 unable to sleep. Suddenly I started getting sick, I got some symtoms of it and i don't know what to do abotu it. Is there anyway I could find out for sure. I know that I should go to a doctor but I want to see for myself. When I do go to my doctor, just to ask about it. How exactly will he check for it?
Posts: 6 | From: miss | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Necka11
Activist
Member # 467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Necka11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouls jsut like to say that I have also thought about TSS but then one day I wore a tampon for almost 24 hours. I never got it nor did i feel any pain. I was wondering if your cramps and pains might have been psychosomatic because you had just watched and learned about TSS. Just a thought. Do u wear tampons to bed??

Posts: 47 | From: Ontario Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Necka,
You should never keep a tampon in that long, nor should you ever sleep with one in. I'm guessing, too, that Krissie was mainly panicking.

However, even commercial brands will tell you on the box to change your tampon every few hours, and not to sleep with one. An additional help is to use noncommercial brands thast only use cotton, not rayon.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SeeMeSwim
Neophyte
Member # 509

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SeeMeSwim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a year round swimmer and I have practice every day before and after school. For me, switching pads and tampons is not a very real option it seems... I can't swim with a pad. I was wondering if this put me at a higher risk for TSS

------------------
Never Give Up... Someone will always care

Posts: 20 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SeeMeSwim, you may be at higher risk compared to a person who only uses pads, but if you follow the instructions on the box -change them every few hours (I'd say 2-4 hours depending on your flow) and don't wear them overnight-, you should be fine. By the way, you can find the unbleached coton ones in health food stores and the like.
Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I just looked at the insert in the Regular Absorbency Tampax box and it says specifically that they can be worn overnight and for up to eight hours...Do the limits stated before *especially the overnight bit* only hold true for super absorbency?

Kinda worried because I HATE pads and always wear tampons overnight...

------------------
Understand that sexuality is as wide as the sea. Understand that your morality is not law. Understand that we are you. Understand that if we decide to have sex whether safe, safer, or unsafe, it is our decision and you have no rights in our lovemaking.
Derek Jarman

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You pays your money and you takes your choice, really.

TSS is rare. It happens, but it's rare.

The basic thing to remember is this: the longer you have a tampon in, the higher your risk of TSS.

REMEMBER: Risk does not mean that something is GOING to happen, it just means that it COULD.

If you want to use tampons overnight, and you are willing to assume the higher risk that a rare, but very bad, thing could happen because you do, go right ahead. It's a lot like other things in life -- do you choose to drive your car when you're tired, even though you know that sleepy drivers have a higher risk of car crashes? do you decide to eat that tuna salad sandwich that's a week old, even though you know there's a higher risk that it might give you food poisoning?

Depending on your tolerance of risk and your fear of the potential consequences if that risk happened to become an actuality, you may make different choices under different circumstances.

TSS is a serious illness. It could potentially be fatal. Obviously -- as with driving cars when we're tired -- sometimes we choose to make decisions that raise our risk level. We also know that the only truly safe sex is masturbation -- condoms fail, and STDs can be transmitted many ways -- but many of us still choose to have sex with partners.

We do it because we know that risk doesn't mean that something is necessarily going to happen, though there is a chance that it might. We do it because where there is a risk of something bad happening, there is often also a benefit we might derive from doing that risky thing. So we take risks.

The important thing is being well-educated and knowledgeable. That's what lets you turn unmanageable risk into managed and much more reasonable risk. Being knowledgeable lets you assess how much risk you are taking and choose to do it or not do it. Being knowledgeable lets you know what the warning signs are if something goes wrong. Being knowledgeable means you know how to take action if it does. And most of all, being knowledgeable means that you take responsibility for taking your own risks.

Like I said, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.