Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Accidental Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Accidental Pregnancy
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished answering some of the advice letters in my box, many of which had to do with a lot of misunderstanding about pregnancy.

For whatever reason, a good amopunt of people seem to think that there is LESS risk of pregnancy during the first few times one has intercourse. Instead, MOST accidental pregnancies occur within the first six months of sexual activity.

This kind of thing is nothing new: people have been confused by this for eons. In fact, I myself was the result of my mother's first intercourse.

Do you feel like you understand pregnancy? Have you gambled with not using birth control and/or STD protection? Do you know anyone, or have you had to deal with an accidental (though honestly, if you just ignore a need for birth control I'm not sure how accidental it is) pregnancy?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helpful27
Activist
Member # 291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Helpful27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fear of pregnancy was always a part of sex even though my girlfriend and I were both using birth control (the pill and a condom).

She was my first and I was her second. I don't know if she had ever been tested for any diseases, but I believe she always used a condom with her first partner and he may have been her first too.

With all that in mind you can never be too careful. Condoms break, pills are forgotten, people lie, and nature often finds a way.

I do know a woman who got pregnant after her first time (I think she was 21). Scary thing is she lied to her partner and said she was on the pill. Even scarier is that her partner didn't use a condom and he wasn't the most virtuous person, if you catch my drift.

I don't know if she did this because she wanted to impress her partner, she was desperate to lose her virginity, she didn't think she could get pregnant, or if she wanted all the attention she received when she got pregnant and had an abortion.

Posts: 46 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know many girls who have gotten pregnant soon after they started having sex with boys. Most of them dealt with it by getting abortions. I think the fact that abortions are readily available makes some teens take more risks with unprotected sex then they otherwise would.

[This message has been edited by HotGrrl99 (edited July 09, 2000).]

Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alathiella
Neophyte
Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alathiella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to say this should encourage unprotected sex, Preven/the morning after pill helps a lot in accidental pregnancies as long as it's taken within 72 hours. To the best of my knowledge, Preven/the morning after pill is basically the double or triple dose of birth control pills which prevents the egg from settling into the uterine tissue.
You need a prescription to get it; too bad Walgreen's won't carry it.

Posts: 3 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberbabe03
Neophyte
Member # 385

Icon 4 posted      Profile for amberbabe03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about accidental (or shouldnt have even happened!!)

I have a friend who's mother was on birth control (and she always took it and was a VERY responsible person about it), when she had ALL THREE of her children!!! That is crazy, and it just goes to show that nothing is 100% effective!! I also have another friend who was concieved while using a condom--those things are NOT the best!!!

------------------
***DISCLAIMER***
All advice received from me should be used at YOUR OWN RISK. I am in no way responsible for the advice that I give. I only give my opinions to the situation (unless otherwise stated--sometimes i do a little research). It is up to you to do what you feel is the right thing. :)

Posts: 38 | From: MO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 4 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definately feel as if I know a lot about pregnancy and STD's. I know how I can get pregnant, and I know how STD's are transmitted. But for some reason, I truly trust a person when they say they don't have an STD, so I go ahead and perform oral sex on them without a condom. I'm just hoping it won't take an STD for me to stop being so trusting. I'm working on it, though Oh, and Amberbabe...There's no way you can know that your friends mother was being completely consistant with her BC pills. She may seem like a responsible adult, but she aslo may have told her daughter that that happened to scare her from sex. And as for the girl getting pregnant when she used a condom, her and her partner may not have used it correctly, or it may have broken without them realizing it.
Posts: 87 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 6 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely have my facts about pregnancy, I know alot about trying to conceive a baby so therefore know plenty on trying to NOT conceive a baby! I think the best type of birth control until you're married is abstinence, although in this day, since some poeple don't get married until sometimes 30's, kind of impossible. Condoms AND some type of birth control is definitely the way to go. It is possible to get pregnant at anytime of the month.

And WildChica, you CAN get pregnant if you take the pill everyday, exact same time, NOTHING is full proof. And St. Johns Wart has been proven to decrease the effectiveness of the pill up to 50%! So, be careful of other things you're taking if you're on the pill.

------------------
}{*Starry*}{
"Healing takes courage and we all have courage. Even if we have to die a little to find it."

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right this second I'm dealing with an accidental pregnancy. I started having sex when I was sixteen (I'm 19 now) and from the start I was always as careful as could be. But even though I was on Depo and my then-boyfriend was using a condom, I got pregnant late last fall. A pregnancy test confirmed it in December, and the day after Valentine's Day, an ultrasound showed that my baby was a healthy boy. The ultrasound picture, for anyone who's curious, can be seen at http://aria54.tripod.com/baby.jpg
What I'm trying to say is simply this: Even though someone thinks she is being careful, as I did, the unexpected can still happen.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Aria!

BEAUTIFUL ultrasound! Thanks for sharing!

So, do we need a moms-to-be forum here for support? if we do, just say the word.

By the way, I have to add that if you do get pregnant and choose to have the baby, http://www.girl-mom.com is a site from the makers of HipMama, and is -- hands down -- the BEST thing I have ever seen on dealing with teen pregnancy. It's honest, it's supportive, and it is just plain wonderful.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we DO need a moms-to-be forum, teen pregnancy and parenting is something VERY hard to find support on, since the majority of teens don't have babies! I was ALMOST a mom, but miscarried when I was 15, I have a lot of friends that are moms and dads though. I say add a forum for it!

------------------
}{*Starry*}{
"Healing takes courage and we all have courage. Even if we have to die a little to find it."

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Here you are!
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/000164.html

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.