Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Back there

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back there
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. My girlfriend and I would like some information about anal sex. How can the germs around that part of the body be dealt with? I mean, like, if one of us were to touch the other there, would it be necessary to wear, say, latex gloves, or would just washing our hands after we're done be enough. What about dental dams? What are they? Where are they found? If we've both been tested, are they necessary? This is more for me than it is for her, she has no desire to be touched there at the moment, and I respect that, but I'd like to be touched there, and she's said she wouldn't mind, um, helping me out. So, what are the basics that we need to know about this?
Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks for being brave! Lots of people wonder about anal sex stuff, but most of 'em don't have the guts to ask.

Anal sex does have some risks aside from the usual safer sex risks, but let me just remind everyone that safer sex practices -- putting a latex barrier between you and your partner so that fluids are not exchanged -- are just as important for anal sex as they are for any other kind of sex.

That means condoms for penis-in-anus penetration, dental dams if you want to lick someone's anal area (yes, people do it, and yes, it can feel really good to a lot of people, so stop making that face), and surgical gloves if you want to put your finger(s) into anyone's anus.

The fortunate thing is this: if you're following safer sex guidelines to begin with, you shouldn't have any problems at all with any of the specific risks of anal sex. How convenient!

The anus and rectum (your anus is the opening, the rectum is just inside), obviously, are going to be a really good place to find the kinds of bacteria and microorganisms that you would normally find in feces. Some of these can get you good and sick if they get into your bloodstream or another person's, and some of them can cause nasty infections. These include a microorganism called giardia, which can cause nasty gastrointestinal infections, and the common bacteria e. coli, which can make you sick with a flulike infection that can occasionally be fatal.

The way to avoid 'em? Don't get them into your body. Just like any other STD.

Some people feel comfortable with anal stimulation / penetration without using gloves as long as they make sure their fingers are smooth, their nails are trimmed very short and filed very very smooth, and they have no visible breaks in the skin, like hangnails or paper cuts. I tend to recommend against it, but if you do it, you need to make sure to wash your hands thoroughly, preferably with an anti-bacterial soap, before you touch your or anyone else's genitals, mouth, eyes, or nose.
The goal, again, is to avoid spreading microorganisms around.

That said, enjoy yourself and use plenty of water-based personal lubricant (no, not spit... that's not safer sex!). The anus does not produce its own lubrication when it is stimulated, and you don't want to give anyone a literal pain in the a** by doing something without adequate lubrication. Wet, Astroglide, KY Jelly, et cetera are your friends.

And just in case anyone's wondering, anal sex guidelines are the same for men and women. Everyone has a butt, and they're all basically the same.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also have an article on anal issues up here.
Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.