Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Who's Been Tested?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who's Been Tested?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm noticing, in terms of advice letters, and which articles people read most of, that it seems a LOT of teens (and adults do too, really) think because they haven't had intercourse, or simply just because they want to believe it, that they or their partner couldn't POSSIBLY be carrying any STDs of STIs.

So, have you been tested? How often? If you have, how did it go? How did you feel? If you haven't, why the heck not?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I haven't been tested for any STIs. I probably should be, although I haven't had any sexual contact with anyone... you never know. But my parents will get suspicious/mad if I start asking them "Hey, mom, where can I get tested for STIs?"
Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of lesbians, sadly, avoid getting tested many times because they are ashamed of having been with a man before, or worse still, ashamed because they think someone might assume they have been because they are getting tested.

I'm due for mine this year, and really, I'm looking forward to it. I feel it feels a LOT better to know than to wonder.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel in Disguise
Neophyte
Member # 68

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Angel in Disguise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been tested. what does it involve?

------------------
Linzi + Chris 4 eva

Posts: 34 | From: Wales | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let the pro's here at Scarletteen give you the details about how doctors test for STD's. I just wanted to let you know that it isn't a terrible expereince. I am regularly tested for STD's and while I can't say I look forward to the exam or having a blood sample taken (which is necessary for HIV and Syphilis testing), I am very happy to know that I am taking care of myself.

If you are nervous or scared, the best thing you can do is inform yourself. Scarletten has a bunch of articles that can help. I particularily liked this one: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/gyne.html

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* LAUREN
Neophyte
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted      Profile for * LAUREN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tested...I was really really really scared before I was, but it all turned out okay.

A question: how often should you be tested for STD's??

------------------
* LAUREN!
I like bright colors.

Posts: 15 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wear*a*smile!
Activist
Member # 161

Icon 12 posted      Profile for wear*a*smile!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've never-ever been tested for an STD or STI. i have never even had sex. i know i don't have one. but i the minute after i have sex i will DEFINATELY get tested. a lot of people are scared to see the results, but isn't it early detection is the key?!?!?!
Posts: 139 | From: San Ramon, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 7 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tested several times. Everytime that you go for your yearly physical for birth control pills, they test you. I was really nervous the first time, even though I had never had sex, and then the second time I was a little scared because I had had sex, but after that I wasn't scared anymore. The reason for that is because I had only been with my bf and he had only been with me, so after two tests I know that I was fine!!!
Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get STD screened yearly. I often get HIV tested more often -- I often make public appearances (I'm a writer and I write a sex column for a local weekly paper) at events where free anonymous testing is offered by one of the local clinics. If I'm someplace like that, I make a point of announcing "Hey, I'm going over to the free testing booth over THERE to get HIV tested!" and taking as many people as I possibly can along with me when I go so that they have company when they go get tested. I think it makes it a little less scary, plus I like being able to set a good example.

I recently had my 15th anniversary of getting STD-screened for the first time. I celebrated by making my annual appointment to go get STD-screened.

Let me be the first to say that getting regular screenings does NOT keep you from getting STDs. I've had STD screenings every year but one that I've been sexually active, and yes, I did manage to get an STD back in my early 20's even so. Fortunately it was one of the easily treatable ones.

Think of it this way: if someone who *knows* the risks, has almost always played fairly safe (yes, I've made dumb choices sometimes, just like everyone else), gets tested, and knows the symptoms can get an STD, so can you. Ain't no such thing as foolproof, and there's no sense in expecting that you're going to be the exception to the rule.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started my first serious, sexual relationship while I was at university. I took advantage of the student health services offered. I started getting tested. I've been tested 3 times, all the while in the same monogamous relationship. I've consistantly come up clean And yes, I got him into the habit of getting tested, too.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say my bf and I have been properly tested. I have this ridiculous feeling of apathy ("no, it just CAN"T happen to me") which will one day probably kill me.

Although (oh the joys of sharing a house with an MD) I get a blood test at the slightest sign of a cold, my pupils examined at every headache... I suppose that could be why I can't make myself take the seriousness of it as seriously.

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been tested, never had sex. But
I plan to get tested soon, as I have suspicions...

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you don't have suspicions, it's a good idea to get tested; some STDs can be asymptomatic or go a while between showing symptoms.

I got tested at my annual exam in January, and will probably get tested again when school starts.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gotten tested and I know its not good, but my boyfriend doesn't have anything and he's the only one I have been with. I know I should though....

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just a note, connfused.

I recently read a statistic which showed that about 30% of young women with HPV had only ONE partner, ever, who they got it from. A goodly percentage of them got it in less than three months of sexual activity with that first partner.

Not trying to make you needlessly worry, but none of us can intuitively know what your partners are or are not carrying. Only regular testing can tell us that.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Maryha
Activist
Member # 7897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a virgin, but I just got tested recently since my bf and I have been discussing the possibility of having sex for a while. (As of yet, there has been no sexual contact.) I plan to get tested every year (or six months, which is better? I've heard both). And I haven't even made any guarantees. I know for a fact he's been tested frequently even though he's a virgin because he regularly has to get the full-shabang because of his extremely low blood pressure which would be effected if he did get anything. Also, even though I have been tested, I hardly think that makes me invincible, or him for that matter, and I'm insisting on safe sex (in whichever form) as is my bf. For intercourse I have two methods which I've discussed with my doctor (one being condoms). Some people might think I'm over doing this, but in my opinion, it's just taking care of myself. I'd rather cover all my bases from the start and continue to be healthy then have to deal with the consequences later.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smily1
Neophyte
Member # 8136

Icon 10 posted      Profile for smily1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nope i've never been tested b/c i have never had any type of sexual encounter
Posts: 30 | From: chicago,IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

If you have one monogamous partner you practice sex safely with, Mary, annually should suffice.

As a note, testing for STDs and STIS is specific. Chances are, in testing things for your partners blood pressure he has NOT had full STD and STI screens.

What he can do to find out is simply to ask for a record of all the tests he's been given in the last year.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been tested once last August, so I'll probably make another appointment to get tested soon.

It went fine. I recall that at the last physical that I went to with my doctor, I felt a lot more uncomfortable than I did with the gynecologist. I felt perfectly comfortable even when the gynecologist was using the speculum and inspecting my cervix and all that--it was completely non-sexual, and kind of like someone probing my arm or leg or some other body part. I didn't feel uncomfortable or violated at all.

When she actually did the pap smear, I would label it as "mild discomfort" which only lasted for a few seconds. So if you haven't been tested yet, please do so!

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mingo
Activist
Member # 7667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mingo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tested so many times I don't remember. Why so many? Because I was in the military and they required it every six months. Since that time, I haven't been tested but I'm married an monogamous.

------------------
We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out

Posts: 126 | From: Ferndale, Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
play_withme_69
Activist
Member # 7238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for play_withme_69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have never been tested but i hope to be soon!
Posts: 42 | From: london ontario canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tested twice ... both times in February when i go for my Pap tests
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mingo:
Why so many? Because I was in the military and they required it every six months.

Yup, my first test came at the hands of the military as well. I didn't have much risk to speak of back then, but it was still interesting. Since then I had to get tested as part of a Social Welfare class, and now its just sort of an annual ritual. It's amazing what doctors can do these days. Getting tested is painless, quick, easy, and great for peace of mind.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get tested on a yearly basis, when I go in for my pap smear and all of that fun stuff.

I don't do well when people take my blood, so I came very close to passing out. They only got 3/4 of what they needed. It took me 10 minutes and two juice packets before I felt well enough to drive home.

And I get to do it again in about a month.

My current partner has never been tested. He really should, but his theory is that if he had something, it would have shown symptoms by now. It had been a year since he last had sex and when we had sex for the first time. I gently insist, but he's as stubborn as I am. But we use condoms every time. I don't want anything, and he is scared to death of having children.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 10 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got tested at the free clinic downtown before deciding to have sex with my boyfriend. I just wanted to make sure that I didnt have anything that I could possibly infect him with. It was so scary going there but Im soooo glad I did. It made me feel more confident about myself and it also took away most of my fear about having sex.
Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimmers n' such
Neophyte
Member # 6816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shimmers n' such     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got tested at my local clinic, simply for peace of mind. I wanted to know that I would not be endangering my BF's health, or my own. I was INCREDIBLY nervous about the whole thing, but it was so worth the anxiety and blood test to know that I have a 100% clean bill of health It's so much sweeter not having to wonder about "what if's??" as there are so many ways to contract STD's/STI's from non-sexual contact.
Posts: 33 | From: Ice Castle, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this may sound pretty bad... but i dont really know what i have been tested for... my moms a nurse and she gets me tested for about 5 million different things... but i dont think i've tested fro STIs or STDs... and i know there is a chance i may have them... but i'm not all too worried... i'm not sexually active in any way... and i dont share food or drinks with people... yuckie!... or thats how i feel anyway...

i think when i start going to a gyno i will get tested... just as a safety precaution...

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
playingbyheart
Activist
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted      Profile for playingbyheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been tested yet, tho I know I should. I'm kind of paranoid about the whole thing... I nearly flipped out when they required me to take an impromtu pregnancy test when I had some blood work done- even though I knew for various reasons the chances of me being pregnant were like 1 in a gadzillion. I know I'm going to get tested eventually, but I'm still somehow ashamed (?) of being sexual in anyway... which is slightly ironic since normally my shame has to do with what my parents think of me, and in this case they'd be incredibly glad that I was being sexually involved w/ a man instead of a woman. Anyway, I have been sexually active w/ two girls before and now am sexually active (tho haven't had the dictionary version of sex) w/ a guy... so yea-- I should be tested. I wish it didn't have to be such a big deal.
Posts: 91 | From: Chicago, Il | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not yet, but I will be at my yearly exam, in (i think) four days.
Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStar
Neophyte
Member # 8725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RavenStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im about to get tested in a few days actually. I'm not sexually active or have any wish to be sexually active anytime soon but I thought "What's to lose?". Might as well get tested. Ou never know, I could have picked something up someother way.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did it last month, got the printout of the results a few days ago, and freaked out. While everything else was clean, the tests showed that I had antibodies for Hepatitis B, which just seemed wrong, especially since I'd been vaccinated against it when I was thirteen or so. And then I realised . . .that's exactly why I've got antibodies. The moral here? If you don't quite get something, ask about it! It'll save time and freaking out.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I want a boy for my birthday . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cup of Joe
Neophyte
Member # 10643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cup of Joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been tested, although I feel I should, even though I am not sexually active. I'm just paranoid about alot of things, and should I have sex in the near future, I want to make sure I am clean. I would also like to know that my partner is too. Getting tested would probably make me feel alot better and this is just one of the things that fuels my anxiety towards sex. I plan on finding a free clinic near my school when I go back. Although I don't think it would be a big deal if my parents thought I was sexually active, I still remain very secretive about my personal life. If we all didn't make such a big deal about this, I think it would be alot less of an issue.

Milke,

Does your mother or father have hepatitis or did any of their family have it? If they did, there is nothing to worry about most likely. Hepatitis is in my dad's side of the family and as long as you have the antibodies, you are fine. I only learned of this when my mom told me. You should probably ask the clinic anyway, just to make sure though.

[This message has been edited by Cup of Joe (edited 01-06-2003).]

Posts: 34 | From: Old Bridge, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, all us Ontario types get Hep-B shots, or at least most of us. It's done through the schools. Technically, a vaccine is usually an extremely lose dose of a virus, which helps your body develop the antibodies against whatever.

But yeah, I get tested whenever the doc and I decide I need a Pap done. I don't usually get printouts, though. She calls if anything's wrong, otherwise silence is golden. Plus, I had my blood done at some point or another. I seem to get regularily drained for something or another every like 3 months. (as in blood)

I'm clean, but the boy's doctor likes to be difficult: mine used to be too. Apparently unless you show symptoms there's no reason to test. It is acutely short term thinking.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, cupcake had it exactly, I was vaccinated against it because that's what my province does, so it's to be expected that I'd have antibodies, but that didn't occur to me at first. It's good to *know*, though, either way!

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I want a boy for my birthday . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.