Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Sorry, we have no one registered with that name?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sorry, we have no one registered with that name?
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried to log in to my other account (lil_nugget) and got the message, "Sorry, we have no one registered with that name."

I know it's my account because I updated my profile and submitted my In Your Own Words piece with it a few minutes ago. I'm just worried my essay didn't get through.

Before I was unable to log in to lil_nugget it looked a little strange: my lil_nugget account didn't seem to have as many profile fields as my bluejumprope account. I created the lil_nugget account a while ago; maybe it's an older version or something?

Thanks again. Scarleteen is awesome.

[ 10-29-2008, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try and check this out for you later. Sorry for the confusion.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I just noticed when I went to the In Your Own Words Page, on the left hand column, it said I was logged in as lil_nugget even though I'm logged in as bluejumprope in the forum...and when I try to log in as lil_nugget it says that account doesn't exist.

I never meant to have two accounts and the not being able to log in to lil_nugget isn't a problem for me and I'd be happy to lose the account. The only reason I care is I want my essay to get through for consideration and I'm just anxious with things wonky it will get lost in the ethers. Thanks. I hope I didn't create a problem.

lil_nugget/bluejumprope

--------------------

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The accounts for the main site and the message boards are separate. So you have to log-in to each one separately. If you chose a different username when you registered for the main site, then you'll have to use that information to log in there.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(FYI, I just started looking at your piece, and I just love it. So, expect to see it up by the end of the day.)

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

And here it is: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/words/yo_doctors_pelvic_exams_shouldn_t_be_quickies

(By the by, I blame you entirely for the coffee spray on my keyboard due to "Barbie Teaches Her Young Sister To Distrust Her Intuition.")

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just say that I love your piece? I've had to get rectal exams and a transvaginal ultrasound done thanks to a chronic disease, and my experiences have been exactly like you described. I think that ultra sound, specifically, was one of the most painful experiences of my life, and no one of the, like, three people present in the room seemed to notice or care that I was in tears and screaming with pain (to be fair, I'd been in tears from pain when I came in, but you'd think that might've motivated them to be more careful). So, thanks for sharing that. Medical professionals really need to learn a lesson or two about how to respect their patient's bodies.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That was really an incredible piece. Your writing is fantastic! It was so enjoyable to read, and the humor really pushed the piece forward. I also loved how you divided the piece into scene and explanation. I felt the two parts worked nicely together.

It also brought up lovely memories of my own transvaginal ultrasounds. I recall the one from when I was 15 being extremely painful, and the wand was pretty huge, like the size of those novelty dildos that you think no one could possibly use, except maybe an elephant. The one I had a couple of months ago was much better, with a wand smaller than the average penis, and I'll admit it was a bit more enjoyable than I thought it should be, which kind of made the experience awkward. But I assume the techs are used to that. [Razz]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked your article (a big thank you for sharing) and I'm really sorry you had to deal with all those unprofessionnal doctors and medical professionnals. It's horrible to hear your story (and unfortunatly, you're not the only one with a story like this), nobody should have to endure stuff like that, that's simply not something that should be happening at all.

While reading your story I was basically saying to myself all along : ''what ? what kind of great, professionnal doctor/medical professionnal who really cared for his patients would do this ?''. That's far from the first time I hear stories like this, but each time I'm shocked. Thanks god there's good doctors out there who really cares for their patient and actually treat them like human beings !!

And by the by, I won't discuss everything (cause there is a hell of a lot to discuss and I could go on and on for hours) but for the rectal exam, the doctor is supposed to ask the patient to bear down before they actually insert their finger in, not when the finger is already entirely in. And that's without saying that there needs to be also communication taking place between the patient and doctor (and the doctor also has to take into account the patient's comfort because most of the time that's not the most comfortable exam there is and the patients can feel very vulnerable) and some explanations(including answering the patient's questions) to the patient before actually performing the exam. Ugh...

[ 11-01-2008, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and beforehand I’d have to drink 40 oz of water and not pee for the hour and a half before my ultrasound.
I loved that. I had to have an ultrasound because of pains I was having, and I had to do the drinking copious amounts of water beforehand thing. Then, the woman put some kind of lube on my belly and pressed down relatively hard. It was ridiculously hard not to pee because of the pressure and how the lube tingled (...wtf. really. XD).

I'm glad you had a good ultrasound experience though. The technician I had refused to let me see the picture on the monitor (to which I retorted "Well it IS my uterus you know..."). I found that really strange and it made me feel so uncomfortable that I couldn't see what was going on.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Wow, Heather, joey, orca, cool87 and Bun Bun I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your feedback. Thanks so much.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Thank YOU for contributing! It really was just an excellent piece. [Smile]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi bluejumprope,

Hopefully you see this. I read your piece and it really made me think. I’ve been wanting to comment on it for awhile. Finally, during the holidays, I get a chance. Firstly, thank you for writing this and I’m sorry you had to go through all those bad experiences with medical professionals. I hope you don’t mind if I share some of my own experiences.

I have often felt that my sexual orientation is invisible. It made me angry when doctors would automatically ask, “Do you have a boyfriend?” or “Are you married?” as if those were the only possible options. My current GP, thank goodness, is not like that. I remember telling her that my parents were pushing me to get married. She asked “But what if you’re not heterosexual?” I remain grateful to her for giving me permission to talk about this.

I also work as doctor myself. I’m new to the job and I make my own mistakes. Sometimes I make heterocentric comments. Sometimes I don’t explain things properly. I’m still working on my pelvic and rectal exams. There are even times when I am preoccupied during those exams, concentrating too much on the size of the prostate or where on earth have these IUD strings disappeared to...and not enough on the feelings and comfort of the patient. I thank you for reminding me of this.

With that pregnancy test, it sounds like it was completely unnecessary in your case but we are taught to be cautious. For a variety of reasons, people sometimes do not completely disclose their sexual histories to us. One of my lecturers was known to say “Every woman between 10 and 70 is pregnant until proven otherwise!”

You might be interested to know that many medical schools now use “gynecology teaching associates” to teach their medical students how to do pelvic exams. These are women, sometimes nurses or health professionals themselves, who volunteer to be professional patients for us. They give us immediate feedback. And they particularly help us to communicate more effectively and sensitively, focussing on issues such as how to talk about abnormal pap smears. They let us know how we can reduce the physical discomfort that an intimate examination can cause. It is so much better than practicing on plastic models.

You’re right; while the intimate exam should be professional with clear boundaries, it certainly need not be quick and impersonal. And I hope that I as I become more comfortable with my own sexuality and as I spend time here at Scarleteen, I will become more confident and comfortable with my patients’ sexual issues.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

eryn_smiles, thanks a lot for sharing all that and for reading the piece. It's fascinating to hear from the examiner's perspective. It makes it so clear how relational this whole thing is--both the patient and the doctor are vulnerable.

I didn't know doctors practiced pelvic exams on plastic models, that's scary. If vaginal exams didn't hurt me so much, I'd love to be one of those volunteers.

I understand the being cautious about pregnancy. In retrospect I'm glad they gave me the pregnancy test. I can think of so many circumstances where a female patient wouldn't be able to be honest about being pregnant or having had a pregnancy risk (or, like in my case, were delirious with pain so that they might not respond accurately) and for diagnosis and treatment it's crucial to know if the patient is pregnant.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.