Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Scarleteens: Your Opinion on Older Users Here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scarleteens: Your Opinion on Older Users Here
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to touch base with you guys and see how you feel about this. As ever, I always want to make sure our approaches and policies here are working for you.

More and more often, we do have people much older than all of you coming here with questions. Sometimes those questions are about things that also apply to you, sometimes they are not (for instance, yesterday, we had someone asking about menopause-related sexual issues).

No matter what, teens and twentysomethings always have been and remain our #1 priority by a long shot. That's what we do, you're who we see as having the fewest resources available to you in terms of sex information, and those who donate to us to help keep us going do so with the understanding that we serve young people. On many levels, it's important you remain who we give our time and attention to first and foremost.

But sometimes, there is time to go ahead and answer older-adult questions. We'll always, in doing that, make clear that those adults need to understand our resources aren't meant for them, but for all of you, and we expect them to respect that and take a back seat to you guys.

At the main site, when I get way-older-adult questions in the advice queue, we just don't go there, particularly since the input form there makes clear our services are not intended for much older adults, and we're not marriage counselors. [Smile]

How do you feel about that? Is it okay? Do you feel like you're benefitted by information that's just far outside where you're at, that it's a wash, or that it detracts from your experience here? Is there a way you feel like we should be approaching those older adult users that's different from how we have been handling it?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely feel okay about that, as one of the young twenty-somethings here.

That said, I read your answer to that question and I found it interesting. Even if I may not deal with that for twenty or thirty years, it won't be a surprise! I'm a big believer in the more knowledge the better, so long as it's accurate.

I think the risky thing is if older users come into the site and give unproductive advice (ie "Why are you kids having sex? Can you just understand that the mature way to deal with this is ___"). So long as that's policed really well, I don't see any reason why you can't answer older adults questions so long as you have the time.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.