Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Want Your Input!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want Your Input!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, within the next sis months, Scarleteen is getting a big update: this is actually the first time I'll be hiring out for work on the sit: up until now, I've done everything myself! But it's time. [Smile]

The main site will be converted into a fantastic content management system called Drupal, which we used to do the All Girl Army site. You can poke around there and see some of the features that'll give us: we'll be able to integrate the blog into the main site, for instance, have comments and discussion on the articles right at the articles if we want, be able to have more live, constantly updated advice queries (and a new columinist is also likely being added: this is still in the works, but I'm talking to a male sexuality writer I think will balance my approach out really nicely, and give the guys here some extra testosterone), better linking to books and other resources, the ability to have user-columnists, the whole works. It's pretty exciting.

For that, I've hired a friend in the UK who also just happens to be one of the best programmers and designers for that system, and who also did AGA for me.

Here's the part where I want some ideas from you: I am also hiring the phenomenal young illustrator who I hired to do the internal illustration for my book, Molly Crabapple. Molly's style is awesome, original, fun and a really nice match for mine and the site as we have it now. The design here won't look totally different -- I'm unwilling to part with my soft jammie stripes! (Heck, I love them so much that I didn't even realize until AFTER I had painted my upstairs art studio here that I literally painted the walls an exact match of these yellow stripes! Ha!)

But she will be giving us a new logo and some extra little treatments, so what I'm wondering is if some of you would be willing to talk about what Scarleteen brings up for you visually. What do you "see" in your head when you think of Scarleteen? What visually, would make it better for you, more fun, more comfortable, etc?

Be creative!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the soft colors of the site; for some reason those "jammie stripes" really do help calm me down, if others feel that way too then it makes sense as I know a lot of new users (at least on the boards) are often in a state of panic when they first come to Scarleteen.

One thing my boyfriend always comments on is the fact that the site "seems geared towards girls more than boys"... I guess what he means by this is, the logo has a girl on it, a lot of the sections of the main site focus on women, and the colors are "girly" (pfft, guys can like pink too [Razz] ) But he thinks the design could be changed to make boys feel more welcome too.

Soo... there's our two cents! [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does he have any input on how? I recognize that's a big question -- heck, prolly bigger than he thinks, given men aren't monolithic -- but given how vague and broad that is, anything more speicifc would be awesome.

(And the ST gal is likely going bye-bye... I'm more fond of text-based design these days anyway.)

(And come on, the rest of you! Please? Pretty please? It's always such a bummer when folks have complaints after the fact, but when we're asking in advance, nobody's there to help avoid what'll get complained about.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he didn't really say what would make it less "girly" lol... but I think what he means is using less "gender-specific" colors and patterns, ie things that can't be called girly and soft... I think? But he's been lurking on the boards for a bit now and I think he's changed his mind now- Scarleteen tends to do that to people (challenge and change their beliefs about gender stereotypes etc).

Sorry I don't have more insight, lol!!

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.