Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Site Help and Service » Why People Don't Read Articles.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why People Don't Read Articles.
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is only my opinion. But I think the reason why people don't read articles or whatnot, is because they feel better reading it and knowing that another human read their question and answered it personally. Do you know what I mean? It gets on my nerves when people ask questions that are obviously on the site. I guess this is my attempt to understand.

------------------
I know the pieces fit because I watched them fall away
Mildewed and smoldering; fundamental differing.

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is there even a need for a personalized response?

If someone reads the Pregnancy Risks Flowchart and it says that they have a moderate to high risk of pregnancy, asking us whether they could be pregnant or not will not change that "moderate" or "high" risk rating. So why not just go read the flowchart?

This site is very well organized. From the front page, it takes at most, 3 clicks of the mouse to get to an article you want to read. Really, it's very simple.

Let's see... I want to know about orgasms. I'm on the main page, all the major sections are clearly linked on the left hand side. Since I want to know more about orgasms, I think I should click on "sexYOUality". That's 1 click. Ta-da! "Sexual Response and Orgasm" is right there. A click on the link takes me straight to the article.

Say you don't see it. What do you do next? Click on the "articles" link at the top. It'll take you to all the articles within that section. That would be 2 clicks from the front page. Now your 3rd click would be on the orgasm article you're looking for.

And if for some odd reason, you went through the major sections and can't find what you're looking for. Use the search function. It works. You'll get a whole list of matches.

It's not all that difficult to help yourself. There is no need for a personalized response to a very hackneyed question. I'm sorry but there isn't. Besides, for the questions that have been asked again and again, articles 3-6 pages in length have been written about them.

Can I get pregnant if I had unprotected sex after my period? How big should me penis be? I had dry sex, can I be pregnant? Will my first time hurt? How do I use a condom? Am I still a virgin? Should I spit or swallow? How do I use a tampon? Can I get pregnant from anal sex? How do I know if I'm ready? My boyfriend ejaculated in the water, can I get pregnant?

I have a link to an article for each and every one of those commonly asked questions. Now which is more helpful for everyone? Taking 5 seconds to find an article and then reading it or being lazy and wasting board space by posting a question that has been posted 3 times on the same page as your post appears? Really, go read the article. It's much more indepth and informative, and it's much quicker and less expensive than creating a post and waiting for a reply, which will probably link you to the article you should have read before posting anyway.

More often than not, the questions aren't all that original. So before you think "me! me! me! it's all about me!" take some time and read over the articles. There right there in front of you and there's a reason why they're there. They're not a means of getting to the boards. They're meant to be read. Please, read them.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I was just wondering if anyone else saw it from my perspective why someone would come to the boards.
Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only imagine how annoyed the sexperts and other writers must get when a question they ask is directly answered in one of the articles here. So far I have only one up and one on the way, but believe it or not, it's a lot of work taking the time to do the research (if needed) and putting it all together nicely. On top of that, it needs to be actually put onto the boards, also done by Miz S.

So i have no sympathy for people who get frustrated when mods won't answer their questions. Articles really are a "personal response" to anyone who reads the boards. And their up there for the simple reason that it's a frequently posted subject here. Who wants to write an article that no one would read anyway? Obviously this info is needed or it wouldn't be put up.

I think this site has come a long way since i've been here. It's a lot easier to use now, since it's been updated, and the boards are used for things that aren't covered. It costs money to post these things ya know ... And the spare time of sexperts and advocates to keep the boards up and running. It's much easier for us to provide a link to the article needed, but some people aren't even happy w/ that. If they had taken the time to look over the site first, advocates probably wouldn't even be needed

------------------
--Hollie West
*~Scarleteen Advocate~*

I have this nagging fear that everyone is out to make me paranoid.
~ Anonymous

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that too, but actually, when i first stumbled onto this site, i read almost every article. And i found it very informative.

------------------
...Everybody knows what a store-bought sweater looks like. But man, when you see a home-knitter on the street, it's obvoius, you know?"
-Hawksley Workman

------------------------
"You already know at least 4 women who've been raped...and you don't even know it."

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.