Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Too young to be asexual?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too young to be asexual?
bluesky456
Neophyte
Member # 67789

Icon 5 posted      Profile for bluesky456         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is 16 too young to identify as Asexual or as somebody with very low sexual attraction to others?
Posts: 4 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asexual is a sexual orientation, just like homosexual or hetrosexual. You can't really be too young for an orientation, and only you can identify your orientation whenever you feel ready. If you feel ready at sixteen to identify your orientation as asexual, then that is absolutely fine.

Have you read this one?

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/am_i_asexual

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluesky456
Neophyte
Member # 67789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluesky456         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou, I guess I didn't really get whether 16 was a bit young to know fully, which is probably influenced by what a lot of people have said to me.

Thanks for the link as well, parts of it I probably could have written myself so it was really helpful. [Smile]

Posts: 4 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might also help to recognize that human sexuality can be very fluid, and all people don't have the same developmental arc.

So, for instance, one person who feels asexual and identifies that way at 16 might find they feel and identify that same way through their lives. Another who does may fine that even just a few years later, asexual no longer feels like who they are or fits them as an identity.

All anyone can do if they want to sexually identify their orientation is to do so based on their sexual past and present, since no one can see into the future. So, if this feels right to you now and makes sense with what you know about yourself, you don't have to have the superhuman ability to project how it may or may not suit you later. You get to identify that way now if you want, whether or not it will always describe your sexuality well in the future.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68053 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.