Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Pressure about dating guys?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pressure about dating guys?
softball9pyro
Neophyte
Member # 63671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for softball9pyro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have been questioning my sexuality lately. But with that my mom is spiritual and other kind of things so she has this book and what it is is it tells you what a certain sickness or injury means. So me having done two things meant 'I am confused about my sexuality' and 'I hate pretending with family'. Since then my mom has been asking me about guys all the time and is on my back about whhy I don't have a boyfriend and have never kissed anyone. So she keeps pressuring me to go out with a guy.
My best friend is also now guy crazy and keeps trying to figure out if I have a crush on anyone and saying i should go out with this guy or that guy. I think she thinks I'm a lesbian or bi or something because something about a lesbian came up and she asked me something I don't really remember what but basically my reply kind of could have come across as that.
Why can't they just leave me alone! I just want to figure it out myself with out them telling me 24/7 that I NEED a guy.

Posts: 2 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you told either of them that their behavior is making you feel uncomfortable and pressured? Even if you were not questioning your sexuality, it would still be pretty intrusive for your mother and your friend to make these comments. It's totally valid for you to feel pressured, and talking to them and asking them to dial it down a little doesn't necessarily mean that you have to tell them you are questioning your sexuality.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9010 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
softball9pyro
Neophyte
Member # 63671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for softball9pyro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have and my mom is still pretty presistent. I think it's because of the thing with what the book said and that i fit a lot of the stereotypes. Its getting on my nerves and now she thinks I spend too much time with my best friend. Someone who also very easily fits the stereotypes. My best friend has started to lay off on the topic though.
Posts: 2 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.