Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Not sure if this is the appropriate place

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not sure if this is the appropriate place
zoogirl
Neophyte
Member # 58622

Icon 9 posted      Profile for zoogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of a dicey subject, so I completely understand if it gets deleted. I'm scared and kind of unsure. I think I might be a "furry." I mean, I get attracted to guys but I find the whole animal thing exciting... idk. I'm not sure I actually have a question... this is just the first time I've ever voiced anything... Well I guess my question would be how on earth do I explain this to a partner without being branded sick or weird?
Posts: 3 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off this is totally an appropriate place for this question, and it's definitely not bad or wrong or anything like that that you asked it here.

The thing about identifying as anything outside the "norm" (what the Officially Sanctioned Cultural Media tells us is the norm, anyway)some folks are going to think it's weird, wrong, or just simply not get it and not want to get it. that doesn't mean anything is wrong with you.

You might want to spend some time thinking about how important this identity is to you - is it central to who you are and what you like and you can't get pleasure without that, or is it peripheral, so something you like, think is hot, but that you can kind of take or leave without it making things not fun or exciting for you. Either one of those is totally fine.

If it's central, then just know it's ok--not everyone will get it, and if you're in high school you might want or need to wait a bit before becoming more sexually active in that way because it can be harder to meet people and get involved in safe ways when you are younger.

And if it's not central, then make decisions about how and who you tell. Not everyone needs to know, and not on the first date. There's nothing wrong with it, which you seem to know already which is awesome, but some people in your life don't need that kind of detail, just like they don't need a lot of details about your life.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.