Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Feeling that I never want to come out.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling that I never want to come out.
littlemoon
Neophyte
Member # 49674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlemoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in my early 20s so I feel that I am getting "too old" to be "in the closet." I have the feeling that I never want to come out. I don't know why I feel this way or if it is normal. I talked to a therapist about it once but that wasn't helpful and I don't want to talk about this in person to anyone anymore.
I have pretty much made a pact with myself that I won't come out. Sometimes I play stupid mind games with myself and tell myself that I'm not actually lesbian and that I'm making it all up.
I guess I'm looking for people that have had any of these thoughts/feelings.
Thanks.

Posts: 10 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a personal choice when/if you decide to come out [Smile] . There's no such thing as being too old or young. I've met people who came out when they were in middle school and also some women who came out when they were grandmothers or after they retired.

I'm in my mid 20's and out to a few people that I care about. I decided to do that because I felt quite isolated in my sexuality and by telling my friends, I did gain their support.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey littlemoon,

First off - you're not too old to be in closet whatsoever, there are plenty of people your age and much older who have not even begun the process of coming out or expressing their sexuality. Your coming process, your sexuality etc are unique and to be cherished, but it's not by any means exceptional.

It's entirely your decision as to whether or not to come out, but I think it's useful to look at the reasons for not wanting to come out?

What are your fears around it? How does not being out affect your life at the moment? What difference do you think being out could make to your life, both positive and negative?

Is there anyone you can talk to at the moment in your life about how you're feeling, what you're going through etc?

Rebecca

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smthng56
Activist
Member # 46344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smthng56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What u said.. well, i felt/feel so much this way too. Im 24 and i never had a proper date in my life, not even talking about kissing etc... not even close. hehe. Well, im "in closet" (dont like this word), only my therapist knew about my orientation, but recently i came out to people in short psychotherapy group and that was it, i dont see these people anymore.
And i know what u talking about mind games.. there are still days and moments when im thinking that i've made it up or something. It feels better then before, but still quite hard.. im just trying to look forward for positive changes.
I dont think that im too old for coming out, but sometimes i think im too old for risks and experiments with relationships. Yeah, maybe its silly, i dont know)

Posts: 73 | From: Russia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemoon
Neophyte
Member # 49674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlemoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the great responses...

Eryn: I'm glad you gained support by coming out to your friends! How did you know they were going to be receptive to you, or did you just guess? I am kind of a loner but I had several friends that I knew did not support gay/lesbian relationships. I broke off those friendships because I always lived in fear that they were going to find me out.

Rebecca: I think that I am not coming out, in part, for the simple reason that I can't imagine life being better after I "out" myself. Also, I am always tempted to date men and try to make it work. It never does, and they never like that I like women but in my mind I imagine for myself a relationship with a man that will put an end to my desires for women. I know that is crazy talk.

Smthng56: I am so relieved to hear someone else feels the same way about playing mind games with yourself. It is a big problem and makes the situation so much more confusing. And you are not being silly, I too feel that "experimenting" with relationships was something I should have done when I was younger. I think there is so much pressure to know who we are and what we want by the time we reach our 20s.

Posts: 10 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to call it crazy talk, but I do think that it's important you realise for yourself that dating men will not have any affect on your attraction to women. What it may have an affect on is your own happiness if you're forcing yourself to do something you don't want to because you believe it may impact on another part of your psyche.

Just wondering about the other questions I asked, about supports you have now, how you feel not being out is affecting you right now?

Rebecca [Smile]

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi littlemoon,

I didn't know my friends would be receptive to me, I guess I just really hoped. It was bit scary because one of them is Catholic and many of my friends are of Asian and Middle Eastern descent, coming from conservative families. Each one of them has reacted supportively (eventually), I have to say. I haven't lost any friend over it and some of the friendships have gotten much closer. It's a shame you needed to break off those friendships. It is hard to tell how people will react, and sometimes it can surprise us. Some people may object to gay relationships in the abstract, but when it affects someone close to them, they may well feel differently.

I wouldn't say its unusual to be tempted to date men. Although I'm very attracted to women, I often feel tempted to marry a man (for all sorts of social reasons other than love and attraction). And my parents are certainly of the idea that a relationship with a man will put an end to my desires for women *sigh*. Anyway, I can relate a little [Smile] . Hope it all works out well for you, regardless of what you decide to do with your coming out.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smthng56
Activist
Member # 46344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smthng56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking that these mind games are very typical for people who was/are confused with their sexuality and don't have enough experience in relationships sphere. You did sound like you are not very ok with your orientation, maybe I'm wrong though. I mean, can it possibly be the cause of your thoughts about not coming out?

[ 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Smthng56 ]

Posts: 73 | From: Russia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.