Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » The "problem" of identifying as a furry...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "problem" of identifying as a furry...
Hopeful Romantic
Neophyte
Member # 32590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeful Romantic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've got a bit of a problem I need advice on... (Well, why else would I be here? XD I'm kind of nervous...) Also not entirely sure if this is the right subforum.

Mentally, I pretty much self-identify as a furry.
But, there seems to be a huge social stigma to identifying as such. It seems that most people think that people who call themselves furries seem to be either a) attracted to animals, or b) attracted to people in fursuits, or c)... somehow not attracted to "normal" people.

I'm none of these... Personally, fursuits seem... hindering. And way too temperature-hot. I'm perfectly attracted to "normal" people, but I'd say it's a kink to behave slightly animalistically! And personally, bestiality grosses me out.

What does turn me on/is a kink of mine is one or both partners dressing up in cat ears/tails and body markings mimicking feline patterns... there's something about the animal qualities and playing like you have enhanced senses that makes me shiver. [Smile]

So, my question is, how would I go about clarifying this to potential partners? (I'm about a 1-1.25 on the Kinsey scale) I don't want to be seen as a creepy deviant, but I do still want to indulge if a partner is fine with it. It's just proposing it in the first place... The Napoleonic era British naval uniform kink and Roman armor kink is already a little weird, I admit. (Ioan Grufudd ruined me... that actually may qualify as a fetish, since I got it ingrained so young!)

I just don't want to scare off men when I pull out the ears and tail and henna tattoos...

[/kinky virgin teen nervousness]

[ 11-11-2010, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Hopeful Romantic ]

--------------------
www.harp.com <--My happy place

Posts: 4 | From: At my harp, playing the Handel Harp Concerto | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilstrawberry
Activist
Member # 39129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say to approach this as you would any other kink, since that's what you consider this to be. If you feel uncomfortable identifying as a furry, since you say there is potential stigma to that, then you can simply start off by suggesting the things you mentioned wanting to try: dressing up/roleplaying. If your partner is open to that, then you get both the outlet you want and probably a good idea on how open your partner would be to the idea of furries.
Posts: 117 | From: U.S. | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTasteOfPurple
Activist
Member # 43186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheTasteOfPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with evilstrawberry that a good way to begin to bring it up may be to ask if they're open to dressing up or roleplaying. Just from reading this, it seems like you'll do really well at bringing it up in a way that is nonthreatening and making it clear that it's not a dealbreaker for you if they don't want to.

--------------------
Julia

The highest result of education is tolerance. -Helen Keller

Posts: 50 | From: Halfway down the California coast | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.