Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I have some questions about transgender?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have some questions about transgender?
Ariskola
Neophyte
Member # 46669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariskola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all the LBGT debate going on in politics today, I've become curious. I know quite a bit about, and totally support gay/lesbian/bisexual, but I don't know that much about transgender and I'd like to hear some accounts from people who are transgender or who know someone who is.
My main question is: explain to me better what makes you conclude that you are the opposite gender? I've heard some say they always preferred activities of the opposite gender growing up, but I don't see how that makes one transsexual. I have always preferred male/masculine activities in just about every situation, but I've never felt that I wasn't a girl, or that my gender didn't feel right.
Lastly, what are your opinions overall? Why would someone be born one gender, but actually be the opposite sex? Thanks for your time.

Posts: 24 | From: Richmond | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ariskola,

I realise you're curious, but i'm gonna point something out: it is not fair to ask trans gender people to explain themselves to you. There's a difference between asking to be pointed in the right direction where you can educate yourself and asking someone to substantiate their gender identity.

This site definitely has lots of information, you may find these two articles informative but do have a look around to see what else it available:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/genderpalooza_a_sex_gender_primer

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/politics/on_identifying_identities

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/25/t/000289.html

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Nicely put, May Day!)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5733 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.