Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I don't know how to help my friend...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't know how to help my friend...
hottie123
Activist
Member # 38432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hottie123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend came out to me today. I thought he was going to confess he liked me, but no, he told me he was gay. I have no problems with this at all, it was just shocking because I never suspected it. But I'm so worried, he's very religious (Catholic) and so is his family. He has only come out to me and his childhood friend. He mentioned that if his family ever found out he would kill himself and that terrified me. I'm trying to give all the advice I can and be there for him, but I don't know what else I can do... [Frown]
Posts: 76 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fireflyboy
Neophyte
Member # 48124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fireflyboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not too sure either for your situation, but possibly consider letting him know about this website that he can join anonymously, so he can seek help if needed. From what I know, knowing you have someone/somewhere to turn to when you need it most, can make a hell of a difference than if you can't go to anyone.
Posts: 39 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hottie123,

One of the best things that you can do for him is to do what you already are doing; continue to be his friend! Another suggestion may for you to ask at your school’s student health center/clinic and /or guidance counselor for referrals to Gay & Lesbian support groups. This would be a good start for local support.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.