Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Coming Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coming Out
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Background: I'm 18 right now, and have had semi-crushes on girls since I was probably about 13, with it becoming a major thing when I started high school, around 14 or 15. And then major confusion/awkwardness around guys since I was about 10, because I don't really get romantic crushes on boys, and they get romantic crushes on me, so they're like "Hey, will you be my girlfriend?" and my mind splits girlfriend into Girl Friend... completely different situation.

And around mid August, a friend of mine came out. She was and is my best friend, she's a couple years older than me, and I sure thought I loved her like a big sister until I had a crush on her a couple years ago. Which I gave up, because she had a boyfriend at the time. So, her coming out caused a lot of re-thinking and confusion. I ended up posting a general confusion rant on another forum I go on, decided substantially that I'm a lesbian after examining past situations, plus the fact that it...'fits' so much better than trying to have crushes on guys ever did.

Now...only person I've even kind of come out to is that same friend, and I only did that by copy-pasting the link to that board of confusion. I'm trying to figure out how to tell my mom and dad, especially because my dad doesn't do well with anything atypical, and I've always been the good kid. My mind comes up with worst-case scenarios for anything I do. Literally, I can be knitting, and my mind will come up with a full-color mental movie of my cat jumping on my back, me falling forward onto the needle, needle impales. So coming out to my parents, or friends with incredibly strict religious parents... especially parents who think I'm the sweetest good girl ever...my mind is going overtime on stuff worthy of a horror movie.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My general advice when it comes to coming out is to think of it as something where you start with a person you feel the most comfortable coming out to, and anticipate being the most supportive, and then move outward in concentric circles with people who are kind of next down that line.

Are you feeling like it's time for you to come out to your parents? If so, you seem to be expressing you feel worried about your Dad with this. How about your Mom?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.