Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Coming out in college?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coming out in college?
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I moved to Oregon a week ago, and I realised today that actually I wasn't out at college yet. I'm not sure what's up with that.

I ended up going to see some theater today with a some new friends, one of whom it turned out was bi, and then once I found that out I felt like I could tell her, but I was still stuttering all over the place. I feel silly. I haven't told my roommate and I don't know why I don't want to. It was never going to be the very first thing I said, but at this point it feels a little weird. I'm very aware that I've avoided the subject.

And now I feel like I want to tell my parents. I've never allowed them a chance to be supportive about things like this, but I don't know if it's okay to tell them over skype or send them an email. Is that too impersonal?

The theater I went to see had a couple monologues from gay students in it, and I guess I feel a little more at home on campus, but I can't shake this feeling that when I come out I'm othering myself, and by not coming out I'm holding back.

Ugh. What a big, big step back. I feel about six years old.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not six: when and if people come out is very individual, based on everyone's individual circumstances. It's not a mark of maturity or immaturity.

I think it might be best to deal with these things separately. Coming out to friends at school and coming out to your folks are two pretty radically different situations.

It can also be tough to try and come out to everyone all at once, rather than doing this one person or community at a time.

If that sounds workable, is there someone or some place you'd like to start with first?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well: I think it would help to have established myself a little more of a support network here before coming out to my parents. But I may just be stalling.

I guess coming out specifically to my roommate isn't exactly time-sensitive; I wonder if he'll assume I felt I couldn't tell him. I get the impression he'd be pretty receptive to it, but it hasn't really come up yet is all. I really don't know why I feel so uncomfortable about telling him - but then, I've never had a roommate, as in same room, before.

We are required by our halls to draw up a roommate contract, too (it's like a form you both fill out and then meet up and discuss, with sleep times, how much notice you want or not for guests, etc). I've sort of mentioned a couple times we should do that, and he's been difficult to pin down to a good time to do it. To be fair, he's in the football team, which is new this year, and his coach is working him all day - he doesn't get really any free time, and he's tired when he gets in. I think discussing that contract would be a good time to bring up my sexuality, but I don't want to feel like I'm nagging him to sit down and do it.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds to me like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself here. In my book, we come out when the opportunity is there in which we feel ready and safe to do so. If that hasn't happened yet for you, it hasn't, and it's hardly your fault, you know?

Is your roomie someone you feel safe coming out to?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Ok, I think I see what you mean. Maybe I am putting too much pressure on myself.

I ended up having the conversation with my roommate about what our ground rules will be - we agreed on just about everything. But one thing was a friend had recommended to me that we agreed on a symbol outside the door for if there's sex etc. going on inside (like a tie on the doorknob, but something non-obvious). We agreed on a playing card (when it's flipped around to show the five of hearts, it means do not disturb), but for some reason when I suggested it I heard myself describing it solely to do with "if one of us has a girl in the room". So I not only avoided my own issue, I made an assumption about his sexuality too, and if hypothetically he were gay I'd have made him feel pretty uncomfortable.

I do feel OK about the idea of coming out to him - that is to say, I don't feel he'd be at all phased by that - but all I'm worried about is there being any awkwardness when we're at close quarters.

Heather
Member # 3

I don't mean to second-guess you, but based on your reaction, it's sounding to me like you really don't feel comfortable coming out to this person.

Maybe you want to choose someone first that you don't live with, since that sounds like a big part of your discomfort?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

I have talked about it to a few of my friends - juniors like me and seniors, people I don't live with but hang out with a lot. So I'm less worried about having someone to talk to now, but I still haven't told anyone in my residence halls.

This might sound stupid, but I kind of feel like I'm being a little unfair to my roommate - I agree I probably feel uncomfortable talking about this with him, but that's not because of anything he's done particularly. I'm not sure that he's given me any reason not to feel comfortable, he hasn't done anything to deserve my feeling like I can't talk to him. I'm wondering if feeling like that is a little neurotic on my part.

I think I'm probably wrong, but I could use some support. I really appreciate you helping me out, it feels like we've been over this before and I'm not sure why I'm back to being closeted.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.