Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Same Gender Sex...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Same Gender Sex...
Hater
Neophyte
Member # 45894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm bisexual, and I'm in a relationship with another girl now. We really love each other, and I think we're going to take it a little farther than kissing soon.... But every time I think about having sex with someone of your own gender, I feel like it isn't REALLY having sex. Like, it's a sort of faux-sex thing. Is this normal? How can I think of it as real? I mean I know that any kind of sex with anyone is real sex, but just the thought of it feels fake. Will the actual experience be different?

--------------------
"Not by wrath does one kill, but by laughter."
~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzche

Posts: 29 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in a relationship with a male, and have never actually had PIV sex, so my point of view may be a little different from yours. Still, I think I can understand where you're coming from.
Our culture seems to put a lot of emphasis on penis-in-vagina as the only 'REAL' sex, with everything else referred to dismissively as 'foreplay'. Also, the concept of losing your virginity is usually tied to opposite gender intercourse too. Do you think that part of your trouble is that you've internalized that view? I like to remember that they're called oral SEX and manual SEX for a reason. There's a whole lot of different, fun ways to be sexual with a partner. If it's sex for you, then I don't think anyone can contradict you.

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some pieces here that might help you out.

For starters, this quote is from here: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/whats_sex

quote:
When we say "sex," what we mean is any number of different things people freely choose to do to tangibly and actively express or enact their sexuality and their sexual feelings.
Then there's this: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/how_can_women_who_sleep_with_women_know_when_they_have_lost_their_virginity

I don't know what your sexual history has been like, and what kinds of sex it has included. But what I can tell you as someone who has had about as wide a range of experiences and partnerships as it gets is that in actuality, what makes any kind of sex feel/be "real" isn't about if it's X activity or Y activity or with this kind of person or that one. As well, there is male/female vaginal intercourse that doesn't feel like sex or like much of anything sexual at all, and there is same-gender makeout sessions that very much DO. It's really not about what is physically happening, it's about the whole sphere of things that go on between people when we are mutually and wantedly enacting our sexual desires.

Are the people involved real? Are their sexualities and desires real? Is everyone involved acting out of a place of those desires and feelings? If so, then it's real, no matter what's going on or what tab is or is not in what slot. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hater
Neophyte
Member # 45894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for clarifying that for me. It really helped and I the articles really helped too. Thank you [Smile]

--------------------
"Not by wrath does one kill, but by laughter."
~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzche

Posts: 29 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're so welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.