Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Would you change? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Would you change?
Haleylynn
Neophyte
Member # 47356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleylynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I haven't experienced much if any rejection for my orientation (i keep that sort of thing under lock and key) I don't think I'd change who I am. First of all, I feel enriched as a person for having the orientation that I was gifted with. Being attracted to men for the rest of my life seems kind of like a curse (no offense, guys). Women just seem so much more receptive, not to mention the fact that I find myself in other ways attracted to them. I look forward to the rest of my life just the way I am.
Posts: 25 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aloevera
Neophyte
Member # 47898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aloevera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love being queer, and can't imagine being straight, so I have no wish to change. My straight friends like being straight too, for the most part.
Posts: 5 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magpie018
Neophyte
Member # 47997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magpie018     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate fly_little_wing's answer, too. Before I realized that no, I am not straight, I was pretty much content to be like everyone else. But when I started questioning my sexual identity, it made me start questioning my overall identity. Now that I'm not into crushing on boys and "dating" (I'm in middle school BTW), I don't really feel the need to fit in with the sheeple at my school at all. I feel like I've found myself, and I shudder to think that if I hadn't had the feelings that made me start questioning everything in the first place, I would still be going along with the herd.
Posts: 10 | From: Canadaland | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deanaossenfo
Neophyte
Member # 48883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deanaossenfo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"you could change your sexual orientation to straight. Would you do it? Would you change?"

As for me i won't change it. Because i love being who i am. I love all of me so why would i change it. I am satisfied already.

Posts: 1 | From: gold coast, australia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeful Romantic
Neophyte
Member # 32590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeful Romantic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might change, but it would be only slightly. I'm about a 1 on the Kinsey scale (mostly straight, but I love the fantasy of genderless or bigendered shapeshifters), but I'd like to be a little higher on that rating; more accepting of transgendered people, that is.
I'm quite comfortable with my sexual preferences... untested as they are. [Wink]
So I'm not sure if I would change, if given the chance.

--------------------
www.harp.com <--My happy place

Posts: 4 | From: At my harp, playing the Handel Harp Concerto | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HarleyQuinnNights
Neophyte
Member # 50877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HarleyQuinnNights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, yes. And I'd be a rich white male. I'd have to deal with a lot less bullshit that way. Things would be easier.
Posts: 5 | From: Everywhere & Nowhere | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just a reminder: the OP made this question about heterosexual orientation, specifically, rather than gender, race or economic status.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonicTwelve
Activist
Member # 34415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TonicTwelve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
While I do adore boys, I think women are fascinating and beautiful. I stop and stare at them all the time. But really, if you put me in a room with one and told me I could do whatever I wanted, I'd probably just ask her to share a cup of coffee and go shopping for shoes with me.
[

That really rings true for me. Physically, I'm attracted to guys, the idea of touching or being touched by a woman just doesn't really turn me on. Emotionally, I've never been able to connect with a guy and have that same kind of emotional intimacy that I have had with girls. As above though, I do find women beautiful and fascinating. So I'd put myself as bi curious or questioning I guess. I'd definitely be interested in having a romantic relationship with a woman, just sexually I'm not really attracted. So yes, I guess I would change my orientation a little bit so I could either be more physically attracted to girls or emotionally attracted to guys more or both! Maybe in time I'll find a girl I'm attracted to or a guy I connect with.

--------------------
~~Caitlin

"Oh baby I said,
It's all in our hands,
Got to learn to respect,
What we don't understand,
We are fortunate ones,
Fortunate ones, I swear."

Posts: 61 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's quite amazing that this topic is still going - I started it 9 years ago, aged 16 years old and in such a different position to the one I'm in now.

It took me a very long time to reach the stage I'm at now, where there is absolutely no question whether or not I would change who I am.

The friends I've made, the life I've had, the points of view I've developed have no doubt been informed by my sexuality and to be honest I'm quite happy with the person I've turned into.

I couldn't imagine another life or another sexuality. I am comfortably me.

Anyway. Just wanted to share. [Smile]

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and girls are awesome.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrudolph52
Neophyte
Member # 50004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrudolph52     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, this is kind of a hard question to answer. I don't think I would want change to be straight (I'm a lesbian)because I think my sexual orientation makes me who I am.

But I do wish it wasn't so hard to feel accepted and to deal with the discrimination that is attached to that social stigma. Overall though, I honestly don't think I would want to be straight.

Posts: 17 | From: Davis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wesley605709
Neophyte
Member # 59245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wesley605709     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely not I am who I am

--------------------
Blessed be

Posts: 1 | From: Mesqute NV | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffee_and_Chocolate
Activist
Member # 56874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coffee_and_Chocolate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never. I am me and I love it!!

--------------------
eh.

Posts: 44 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantokrator
Activist
Member # 43289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pantokrator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am straight and while I don't have any particular issues with my orientation, I feel it's kind of boring and too much what society "expects". If I could change I think I would be bisexual just because I could have a greater range of partners to choose from and be open to more experiences.

I've also always felt a strong affinity with the LGBT community and it would be cool to be more of a "member of the club" per se so that I could relate to their issues more.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. There are a lot of things I really dislike about myself, but my bisexuality isn't one of them. I feel lucky, in fact, to have had and to be able to understand both heterosexual and homosexual feelings. The 'being able to understand' bit is big: I'm not great at putting myself in other people's shoes, so I need all the help with empathy that I can get, and I do think bisexuality helps me with that.
Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would have said that I wanted to change to straight when I was younger, but really the only thing I would have changed is feeling like I had to choose one gender to stick to, in terms of dating. I remember having a girlfriend when I was about 12 and carrying the sinking feeling that because I also liked boys, I was a fake. I couldn't shake that feeling that lesbians were more 'real' than I was, and I was wasting their time.

Now I identify as queer, and I've never feel so free!

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
violet21
Neophyte
Member # 70331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violet21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wouldn't change. I think being bisexual is a part of who I am. Many of my role models are bisexual, and I admired and loved them even before I knew of their orientation. It feels good to know that many people in the world, even rich/famous people, can be successful without being straight. Basically, I don't think I'd need to change to straight to be happy OR successful. I wouldn't be any different than I am now.

For a long time I was questioning what I am, questioning if I was bisexual or not. Now I'm soon entering adulthood and it just doesn't make me feel bad to know I like both men and women. I've actually come to the conclusion that I do because I am an extremely sensitive and open minded person, and very deep...I like to feel emotionally connected to others and I can get that with a girl more often than with a guy, and being with a girl makes me just as happy as being with a guy.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iforgot
Neophyte
Member # 73140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iforgot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not sure if change would be the answer im not real sure y i like what i like but i know i do I.E. i like girls but i can look at a guy and tell u if he looks good or if he has a nice body. I like to experiment with my sexual bounderies alone but would never think about doing ne thing with another guy.

--------------------
Im so confused I Need some help

Posts: 5 | From: dennville ohio | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JacquelineNV
Neophyte
Member # 86820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JacquelineNV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of things I would change about myself, but being queer is definitely not one of them. It's given me common ground with a lot of wonderful and fascinating people, and led me to some exciting grassroots/activist organizing that I don't know if I would have come to otherwise.
Posts: 4 | From: Halifax, NS | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Controversy
Activist
Member # 50053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Controversy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would want to change anything. I relate to some posts above. I am completely attracted to men, everything about them just makes me want to jump out of my skin. But I noticed that sometimes I catch myself looking at a girl, and admiring traits about her, when I was younger I thought I was Bi, but realized I just like certain traits in people. So no matter what gender they were I would still be openly interested in it. I would never become jealous, but just tell them straight up that they are beautiful, and that they don't have to change anything about them just because someone said they should.
Posts: 132 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonrisa1
Neophyte
Member # 89499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonrisa1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a happy, healthy pansexual, who enjoys being attracted to a variety of different kinds of individuals. Why would I want to change?

--------------------
Smile. :)

Posts: 11 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sreed
Neophyte
Member # 93583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sreed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it would depend on how things are going to shape up when growing. Because a big factor of me turning this way is how I saw life as a kid.

If things lean toward being straight the second time around then I might go and take that route. But if you are talking about just changing the orientation, then I would have to say no. Probably 1 in 10 times just so I could try how things are going to pan out.

Posts: 5 | From: Maidenhead | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.