Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » "Gay-Straight" scale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Gay-Straight" scale
michan
Neophyte
Member # 44481

Icon 4 posted      Profile for michan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I have talked about this sooooo many times, and I know I will continue to mention this.
There is this thing called the "Gay-Straight" scale. It is a scale from 1 to 10. 1 being super straight and 10 being uber gay.
Very few people are either one or the other. Most people are somewhere in the middle and are just closer to one side or the other.
Like me, I consider myself a lesbian, however on the scale I'm probably about an 8.7-9.5
I hope that this has cleared up some confusions of "am I gay?" or of "I'm attracted to [insert gender here] but I'm straight/gay"
I really hope this helped.

--------------------
~Mi-chan

Posts: 34 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why that should make it any easier, people still need to figure out where they fit on that scale and besides their position on that scale will change with time. But I don't agree that barely anyone, if anyone, is a 1 or a 10, however I think it should really be 1 to a google (a number with a billion zeros), with sections and subsections, although your version is a lot less complicated.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not working the boards today, but just wanted to clarify a couple things on this.

The scale you're referring to is actually called "The Kinsey Scale." That's important, especially given his understanding of how few people are 100% heterosexual or 100% homosexual, and his desire for people to understand sexual orientation not as two poles, but as a continuum. I know that may seem like semantics, but I do think it's really important.

And while I just said as much, it is accurate to say that Kinsey's finding -- as other sexuality studies have found -- showed that, indeed, most people on that scale are NOT 0's or 10's -- it goes 0-10, not 1-10.

Additionally, moonlight, you may appreciate that since the time the Kinsey Scale was developed, other tools have been designed to address factors like the fact that time, and all the life we live in it, is an important factor. There's some information on the Klein Grid, for instance, here.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michan
Neophyte
Member # 44481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the only scales I've seen have only been from 1-10 and I don't believe they called it the Kinsey Scale

--------------------
~Mi-chan

Posts: 34 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That may be because the Kinsey Scale actually goes from 0 to 6, not 0 to 10 (Heather may have mistyped). There's more information on the Kinsey scale here. It is possible that there are other scales, and there are certainly other methods of "measuring" orientation - for lack of a better word - which address other factors which may have an effect on how a person identifies, but the Kinsey Scale does exist.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you that information was very helpful.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.