Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Noticing a common confusion in orientation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Noticing a common confusion in orientation
michan
Neophyte
Member # 44481

Icon 4 posted      Profile for michan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I've notice in reading a bunch of these threads is that people seem to be working towards trying to figure out what they are. Which is fine, no problem with that, but they seem to be trying to put a label to it.
I must admit that I'm guilty of it too, I used to do that when I was trying to figure if I was gay or not.
To all of those people who are trying to find that label, don't.
A label is a label that doesn't matter, what matters is that you know how you feel and who you are. Don't even think about trying to find the label before you know who you are, because a label can't define you.
If you do want that label though, you HAVE to figure out who you are first, otherwise you can't just put a label to yourself and expect it to be accurate.
Like me, I'm gay because my preference is girls to the point of which I don't want to date, or am not attracted to guys. And because of that, I am able to put the label there, even though it doesn't matter. I could just as easily say "I like girls." and it would be the same.
So please stop trying to label yourself, it won't ever do you any good.

Posts: 34 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice advice, michan! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is terrific advice. If only I could take it. I think I'm bisexual and I have told my parents, but I don't want to be. I think you have the right attitude though. So, if people ask you do you say you are gay? Just curious.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michan
Neophyte
Member # 44481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if someone asks me what I am, depending on the person I will tell them that either gay or a lesbian
Posts: 34 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I always wanted to go for the 'lesbian' label! I got less eyebrow raising, and more of the people I knew accepted me. But.. you're very right, michan. When you don't know what or who you are yet, a label can make things tricky.

A counselor for the queer youth group I used to attend put it best: "Sure, I am queer but would I turn down a guy I liked just because? No." Because as youth, we had looked up to her as our 'tight butch lesbian role model lady', when she said that, it really showed me it was okay to have a little bit of a gap. [Smile]

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.