Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » A-sexual?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A-sexual?
Perfectly_clueless
Neophyte
Member # 42651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Perfectly_clueless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself am hetrosexual , but I know a few people who are a-sexual. And iv never understood this term. It was explained to me , but not very well. I don't understand what it means. Any explainations?
Posts: 29 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link where I talk about asexuality: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/am_i_asexual

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannoncookies
Neophyte
Member # 44150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannoncookies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Asexual is a pretty broad term, but in essence what it means is that you just lack sexual attraction or desire. This can get a bit confusing because asexual people can have romantic feelings and relationships and do sometimes have sex. This isn't to be confused with people who realize sexual desires but choose to satisfy said desires themselves, i.e. masturbation.

--------------------
Peace, love, and cookies.

Posts: 3 | From: CT, USA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, shannon, you've got it backward per how most people (given, it's a small group, but) who ID as asexual describe themselves.

In other words, plenty of asexuals express that they DO feel sexual desire, but the common denominator is that most do not feel the desire to EXPRESS those feelings with someone else; do not desire sexual relationships or experiences with others. Plenty of asexual people masturbate.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graffitionyourbody
Neophyte
Member # 47384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for graffitionyourbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there also are some azexual people who really do feel no sexual desire, like my friend.

Just adding my 2 cents.

Posts: 19 | From: Washington, DC. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

There are some, for sure.

But it's more common for those who ID as asexual (especially older adults, not teens) to express that they feel desires, just no desire to do anything about it, or enact those desires with someone else.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Charis
Neophyte
Member # 47516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I direct you to AVEN, the Asexuality Visibility and Education Network? http://www.asexuality.org/home/
You might find the FAQ and reading the message boards to be help full to you.

Posts: 1 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.