Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Straight Girls and Queer Girls...discuss! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Straight Girls and Queer Girls...discuss!
JacquelineNV
Neophyte
Member # 86820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JacquelineNV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thread!

-In relationships with women with a different sexual orientation than you, is it something you're aware of? How?

Sometimes, though that's really just because many of my close female friends are in relationships with men and that is a big part of their lives. So it comes up, and I'm aware of our differences, but it's never been a big deal.

-Have you experienced tension being friends with women who don't share your orientation?

No, never. I identify as queer but have dated more men than any other gender overall, so I have feelings and experiences in common with a wide variety of people.

-Are there any biases or stereotypes you're aware of having about women with a different orientation than you?

I suppose that straight women could never be interested in me (despite evidence showing that a huge proportion of women are at least bi-curious), and perhaps that people I perceive to be straight will feel creeped out/threatened by any overt gestures of queerness on my part. But I think those are due more to my own neuroses than anything else!

-Are there fears you have about being around women with a different sexual orientation?

No, I've always felt quite safe among other women, regardless of orientation.

-Are there things you admire or envy about women with a different sexual orientation that you think is related to their orientation?

Just people who have a very concrete sense of their orientation, rather than it being fluid - I don't really have a problem with the way I identify, but I think it would make things a little easier (and make it simpler to explain my feelings to others) were it more settled.

Posts: 4 | From: Halifax, NS | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.