Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Gay Literature?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay Literature?
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I've been mulling over the idea that I might be gay for some time now - and to a certain extent I'm really quite open-minded about it. To be honest, I just think that if the right person comes along and they happen to be a Mr. rather than a Ms., it wouldn't freak me out too much.

Anyway, what I was wondering - does anyone know of any decent gay male literature? When I say that, I don't mean erotica particularly, but for instance I read Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit (by Jeanette Winterson), which is sort of the lesbian equivalent of the kind of thing I think would be worthwhile to read. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you're basically looking for coming out stories/lit, literature on identity, that kind of thing? Are you looking for fiction or nonfiction?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if you've read Oranges... I thought I remembered you recommending it, but I could be wrong. Anyway, Winterson describes that as semi-autobiographical... I guess I'd prefer something based in narrative, but it can be either fiction or non-fiction really.
But yes, coming out stories, identity etc. Basically my best friend (who is lesbian) said that Oranges really helped her feel comfortable with her identity, and having read it I just thought a similar book aimed at the gay male audience would be helpful (I don't know if you've ever searched for gay male erotica online, but the quality is by no means great. [Razz] )

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Jeannette Winterson. [Smile]

But I hear ya.

My super-duper fave YA gay novel of this year is Perry Moore's hero, which won the YA Lambda this year, and I'd say was very well deserved. I'm not a young adult, but I loved it. Looking at Lambda winners is actually a good way to find some great stuff.

Some classic pieces of gay fiction I'd suggest (I'm always a sucker for the classics) are: Death in Venice by Thomas Mann, Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin, Maurice by E. M. Forster and anything and everything Oscar Wilde ever wrote. Some more contemporary suggestions I'd make are Angels in America by Tony Kushner, A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham (which may just be one of the most beautiful books I have ever read, period), the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin, and I hear wonderful things about Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story by Paul Monette.

Those should get you started as far as fiction goes. [Smile]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Thanks Heather! I'll get down to the library and have a looksee for some of those.
Always amusing, my head of sixth form stops me whenever he sees me with a book to ask about it (he's an English teacher, absolutely the nicest bloke you could wish to meet). After Oranges, followed by Pride and Prejudice, he's taken to loudly declaring me a 'renaissance man' every now and again. [Razz]
I'm reading Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama at the minute (which I would so very definitely recommend to you all), for whom I have what my friend describes as a 'man-crush'. Ah well. [Smile]

--------------------

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Just to let you know, Dreams From My Father is one of the best books I've ever read. The man is wonderful, I tells ya. [Smile]
A Home At The End Of The World was amazing too, thanks Heather!

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I love that book so much. The film made of it was also really fantastic if you can find it. Glad you enjoyed it!

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.