Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » How to best support someone when they come out of the closet.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to best support someone when they come out of the closet.
thepurplepoet
Neophyte
Member # 37958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thepurplepoet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My older sister has fairly recently told me that she is bisexual. This was not a surprise as she had told me such a thing several times before, blushed bright red and told me she was just kidding. I am trying to be as supportive as possible, and I know it is quite likely that she isn't ready to come out of the closet, and I certainly don't want to out her. Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can best support her?

--------------------
~*~Have you been half-asleep, and have you heard voices?~*~

Posts: 17 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestion is to sit down and talk to her, when you both know you will feel comfortable enough to talk to each other about it. Once you get to this point, reassure her that you think it's okay, and that she can talk to you about it. At least by doing this she will have some reassurance that you dont look at her different nor do you love her any less, which is something she may fear. Other than that, encourage her to do what she thinks and feels best for her, and remind her that you are there for her, whether she needs to talk or if she just needs some advice telling the rents or whatnot.

Good luck. [Smile]

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might also want to take a look at this reply Heather gave to someone with a similar question. And kudos for being so supportive!

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.