Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Bisexuality, Religion and Personal thoughts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bisexuality, Religion and Personal thoughts
G-bear
Neophyte
Member # 38159

Icon 5 posted      Profile for G-bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okayy, so I want to know what other peoples views on being bisexual and a christian are. I'm a christian, and almost all of my christian friends, along with people from my church tell me it's wrong and that it's a sin, but I really don't see how it's that bad. There are plenty of "sins" out there much worse than simply finding yourself attracted to someone of the same sex. Please give me your oppinions? [Confused]
Posts: 3 | From: Tx. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm not sure this is in the right section?)

This is juts my personal opinion, and I have no doubt your friends would disagree, but here goes:

A person can 'choose' to be bisexual (or homosexual, or asexual, or pansexual, etc.) just like a person can 'choose' to be heterosexual. Did your friends choose to be heterosexual (if, indeed, they are really straight; you never know, it's not impossible that some of them are not ready to accept their own sexuality for the same reason they tell you it's wrong)? Did they wake up one morning and decide, "I think I'll be attracted to the opposite sex!" Probably not.

Here's an example: If someone with Turrets syndrome 'takes the name of God in vain' constantly, is he truly sinning, despite the fact he has no control over it?

So no, it's not that bad; not bad at all, actually. The friends playing the Holier Than Thou card and telling you that you're a sinner for being bisexual seem to have an acute case of log-in-the-eye syndrome [Wink]

--------------------
“I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.” --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bee_is_me
Neophyte
Member # 38122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bee_is_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a school with Anglican connections and there's only one person there who ever expressed openly homophobic views. My grandparents and a lot of our family friends are Christian and they're all really tolerant. During the Australian Mardi Gras, there was a float of (straight) priests who apologised for the Church's treatment of the GLBT community. So I think a lot of people are becoming more tolerant. As for the ones who aren't? Well, as someone who believes in a higher being myself (but doesn't really follow any religion) I think they're wrong. But it's their belief and as long as they don't hurt other people with it, or try to convert them and they should be entitled to it.

--------------------
Let your clarity define you...

Posts: 25 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-bear
Neophyte
Member # 38159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G-bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, thankyou guys. I'm just really confused about the whole thing. I don't see why some of my friends will get so mad at me if I simply express any interest other than friendship towards a girl, while others are just like, it's not that big of a deal. My family for the most part(or atleast out of the members who know I'm bisexual) are okayy with it, but my mom resents it terribly. She says she believes that people are born with a certain sexual orientation, but yet she hates me for it? Sounds slightly hypocritical to me...
Posts: 3 | From: Tx. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelleMorte
Activist
Member # 27890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a lot of research into what the Bible actually says about homosexuality. Interestingly enough, it says almost nothing about consensual, committed relationships between two people of the same sex (and really, that is only certain interpretations of David/Johnathan, and Jesus/John). Often, it refers to prostitution, sexual slavery, paedophilia, and pagan sex rituals, which were forbidden for heterosexuals too.

Overall, I think that God doesn't care about which gender you prefer. He loves you, and created you as you are- why would he make you gay if it was wrong?

This site is a really good one. It gives both sides of the argument.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/homosexu.htm

--------------------
"Ne donne un baiser, ma mie, que la bague au doigt" -Méphistophélès from Faust (Don't give a kiss, my sweetheart, until the ring is on your finger)

Posts: 44 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.