Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » turning into a lesbian because of that ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: turning into a lesbian because of that ?
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm truly sorry if there is there has been threads/articles or things like that on the subject but it's still a concept I either haven't read enough about it or haven't quite get 100 % yet.

What I am wondering is : can your sexual orientation be influenced by your past experiences ? Is your sexual orientation something totally in your genes (so something you already have fixed at birth) or is it something that shapes/is determined with your life experiences when you were a kid up until adolescence where your orientation usually gets revealed ?

Can a girl for example be lesbian because of let's say physical or sexual abuse she suffered from in her childhood or such or was it something she already had fixed at birth ?

I've also heard cases where some girls turned into lesbians after like being abused or such in their adult life, not childhood. Is that a total coincidence or can the abuse have something to do in that ?

I may sound like a total weirdo or something [Smile] but I just don't quite get the whole orientation concept/ how it can be explain. I'm just trying to make more sense out of it, if this is possible.

So what fixes/determines our orientation ? And if experiences can contribute to shaping our orientation, can it also be the case with changes that occured AFTER childhood ?

[ 03-22-2007, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only true answer to this is that all we know -- as a whole -- right now is that there are clearly elements of sexual orientation (for everyone, not somehow just lesbian women) which are fixed, and clearly elements which are mutable. There is no either/or here.

We also can clearly say that one very strong heterosexual bias we see in our culture is a constant looking to some trauma that would "change" someone from heterosexual to homosexual (ostensibly, and clearly implied, because being anything other that heterosexual is considered abnormal). There are SO many flaws in all of that, one could write a novel, but the one that shows that up to be as ridiculous as it is, is that it also makes the clear -- and false -- statement that everyone must be born heterosexual, an idea which not only stands counter to what we do know about much of orientation being fixed, but which is utterly baseless, since no one announces ANY orientation at the moment of birth, heterosexual, homosexual or otherwise.

But it might help, in trying to make concepts of orientation make more sense to you, to try thinking about them differently. In other words, when you think about them, not to think about only one orientation with these questions, but about all of them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Yeah I understand a bit more now.

I wasn't necessarily talking about lesbians in particular although it did seem like an easier example for me to use. So that's why I used it, but I didn't want it to came across the way it did.

And yeah your second paragraph makes a lot of sense and states true facts which can be easily forgotten from time to time. [Smile] So thanks for reminding me that.

[ 03-23-2007, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

And, hey, I don't know if you are open to other questions but if so, when you say part of sexual orientation is mutable what do you imply exactly ? That it can be shaped through childhood experiences only or that it can also be through adult life experiences or do you totally mean something else ? That part is still a bit unclear for me.

--------------------

echomikeromeo
Neophyte
Member # 29978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for echomikeromeo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Experience in discovering one's sexual orientation is different for everyone. I didn't see myself as bisexual until I was around 15, but I know that other kids who I have talked to say that they've always known that they were something other than straight. Some folks say that their orientation had some element of choice; some say that it's hard-wired. Myself, I think that although I didn't make any choices concerning my bisexuality, I have chosen to act on it, by pursuing girls in addition to guys and finding a place within my school's tiny queer community.

But as Miz Scarlet said, the concept that non-heterosexuality must be the result of some trauma is a greatly flawed one - and I think such results must only occur in a minority of cases.

Posts: 29 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.