Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » parents in denial

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: parents in denial
InKeepingSecrets
Neophyte
Member # 30788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InKeepingSecrets     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so.. yeah.. i'm bi.. my parents don't really know... but i don't really hide it very well... well i have a girlfriend... and ya know.. with MySpace now a days you can find anyone.. well my mother thinks that my girlfriend and i are just friends... she's only met her once... but i am always talking to her... so my mom was suspecting.. so she decided to get onto MySpace and check out just who my new friend is... well my girlfriend is a lesbian.. and proud of it... so her MySpace definately doesnt hide it.. so my mom asked me about it.. and i told her that i wanted to talk to her about it later... (i was talking to her on AIM at the time... then she asked "talk about what?" i told her that i might be Bi... she said "what do you mean?" and i told her that i like my friend/girlfriend... then my mum told me not to confuse friendship with something else... i'm not confused... not in the least... does that sound like denial to anyone else? the sooner someone gets back to me the better... thanks...
oh and sorry 'bout writing a novel

--------------------
Peace, Love, Empathy

Posts: 17 | From: Pa | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
InKeepSecrets, I just noticed your post now; sorry for taking so long! It's been a week since you wrote, so I first wanted to ask how this was going? Did you and your mom have that talk?

Here's an article on coming out in general, in case you haven't read it yet: http://www.scarleteen.com/gaydar/out.html

I think you'd be hardpressed to find anyone here who'd say you're in denial for having a girlfriend. [Smile] It seems that your mom isn't opposed to people being queer (?), but that she seems to want to you be. Because it seems that a lot of people (such as parents) still don't take bisexuality seriously. Because your mom recognizes being gayy means dealing with a lot more crap from society.

Not that it makes her telling you "not to confuse friendship with something else" is ok. It does sound like she knows you're together and she's just sounds like she's trying to convince herself. (I've heard these arguments from my well-meaning-if-a-bit-off-at-times mother, too.)

I'd talk to your mom about this directly. She may not accept it (immediately), but I think over time she'd become more understanding. (Not that it doesn't suck in the meantime!) But I'm glad that at least you're feeling ok about your orientation. [Smile]

Showing her these articles might help her understand, too. I think a lot of people's bias against bi people is from misunderstanding and lack of information.
http://www.scarleteen.com/gaydar/basics.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/gaydar/biquiz.html

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorkasaurus
Neophyte
Member # 32456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dorkasaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something similar happened to me, although not quite the same...

I asked my mother what her reaction would be if I told her I was gay, and she said she wouldn't believe me. I guess she thinks she can tell or something.

This was a long time ago, before I really began suspecting that I am attracted to women, so I'm not sure if I should tell her or not, or just let her figure it out when/if I bring a girlfriend home. If I would even have the courage to :-(

--------------------
"We are all born naked, and the rest is drag." --RuPaul

Posts: 19 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its automatic that most parents go into some form of denial. My mother did the same thing. Saying I go thru "phases in my life" and that I "Constently am changing who I an every few years". Too which I told her "Im a lesbian mom, Ive known I was a lesbian since I was a kid. I was born a Lesbian, I just kept it from you cause I didnt want to make you uncomfortable".
After like 2 weeks of her denial issues shes finally accepted it and is sweet about everything with me. She even asked me how everything was going in my relationship I was in and I just broke up with my gf the other night and my mom was the one letting me vent to her about my fustrations with my x.

You just got to be who you are and if you accept yourself your family will eventually accept you too.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.