Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » hormones and attraction???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hormones and attraction???
maybe
Neophyte
Member # 30184

Icon 8 posted      Profile for maybe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I identify as lesbian, but under some circumstances I can be really attracted to guys. I'm seventeen turning eighteen, I've id-ed as gay since I was about thirteen, and this isn't really a new thing for me.

My question involves that. Um... I only seem to be attracted to guys when I'm ovulating, and I guess that would have a real biological reason, but I'm wondering if other girls experience this. It's like BAM thatguyishotiwanttosleepwithhim BAM oh god no, what was I thinking?

I don't plan on acting on any of this because I know I'd end up regretting it once my hormones were nice and regular again.

But do any of you out there who are primarily attracted to women relate to this? Is it just my hormones saying "Yevtsye, get pregnant. NOW." or what? Because I definately don't want to go there at any other point in my cycle, and I don't really know any girls I could ask about that.

By the way, I certainly don't plan on getting pregnant in the next ten years at the least. Just so you know.

So...personal experience? Anecdotal knowledge? I'm very curious.

Posts: 14 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Matthew
Activist
Member # 29890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Matthew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once read a research study related to your question. I don't remember the date or source, but I'm sure it was real science. The study examined if women found the smell of male sweat pleasant.

The results were that women generally found the smell unpleasant, but less unpleasant when ovulating.

I find the fact that your feelings vary so dramatically when you are ovulating interesting. Thank you for the education. I hope I'm not intruding here.

And you do know about women who live together synchronizing their menstruation, don't you? I read a study about that too, and that women exposed to minute amounts of each others sweat will adjust their periods over time so that they are in sync.

Pheremones Work!

Posts: 220 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused_biatch
Neophyte
Member # 29802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused_biatch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! I COULD SWEAR I WROTE THIS QUESTION!!!!! Im so excited, I have tried and tried to other women in my situation and asked SO MANY professionals but nobody could ever help me! Thats creepy! Ok here we go, I am 24 years old. I have identified as a lesbian since I was about 10. Never had a doubt in my mind. During my teens I kinda wanted sex with guys, but not that much. Well I got on the pill at 17 for pimples, and I had been on it ever since. When I was 23, over a year in my relationship with my gf that I love and have been living with, I decided to get off the pill to have a better sex drive, because the pill pretty much kills it for me. I didnt see a difference for 6 months........ and then that month, a few days before my menstruations....... BANG! EVERYTHING CRASHES! Suddenly, I want sex with a guy, I crave it actually. And Im seriously thinking about a baby (which my gf and I had always agreed we didnt know if wed ever want them). I was hysterical. Since I was 10 I KNEW I LOVED WOMEN. Ive only ever been in love with women. Only ever been attracted to women. So for 4 months, few days before my periods, and during my periods, Id crave men, penetration, babies. It would calm down and Id be ok until ovulation. BANG! I want a baby. NOW! I look at pregnant mothers and mothers with their babies and I feel cheated. Then next day.. Oh well I dont know if I really want kids. Same senario over and over again every month. My gf now knows my periods is my questionning of my orientation period and ovulation is baby time. It got so crazy, I was totally wrecked. I went back on the pill. I didnt know what else to do. And it has calmed down QUITE A BIT this month. No one I talked to, GYNECOLOGIST INCLUDED found any link between all this to hormones. Let's talk!

[ 08-28-2006, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: confused_biatch ]

Posts: 5 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yrael
Neophyte
Member # 30149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yrael         Edit/Delete Post 
Furthering Mr. Matthew's comments, in Psych they mentioned that the physical features women find attractive go from either femenine to masculine or masculine to femenine (I can't remember which way it was though) during ovulation. That might have something to do with it.
Posts: 4 | From: Alaska | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maybe
Neophyte
Member # 30184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maybe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I moved and was out of touch for a time.

I imagine it does relate to hormones. I too have gone on birth control and found that it wasn't an issue.

Yrael and Mr. Matthew, I had not read any studies on that but I certainly will look up.

When I lived with a girlfriend for several months our cycles did end up synchronising, which was either a very good thing or very stressful depending on whether our PMS days matched up [Smile] This has happened with several friends since, which makes the mad dash for tampons much less stressful.

confused, I definitely understand where you come from [Razz] it can certainly be frustrating! But it appears we are the only girls on this board who relate? Haha. I wonder how many queer girls have experienced this?

Posts: 14 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that GYNs are "idiots" for not having an answer to something that hasn't been researched.

(And please, let's not jest about rape here or use that term casually, okay? It's just not funny.)

You know, maybe, this wasn't ever something I paid any attention to in my life, a life in which I spent a bisexual with a stronger preference for women. I don't know that I ever observed this happening, but then, I also never was on the lookout for it either, nor have I ever wanted to become pregnant, period.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.