Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » having fun with coming out.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: having fun with coming out.
le paon
Neophyte
Member # 29896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for le paon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's the deal. I'm 16 years old, openly gay male. My parents know, my friends know, and if you asked me then you'd probably know too. Anyway, my friend Liz is like a mother to me. She's like 40 and has three daughters. She's really fun and accepting of everything. I'm good friends with one of her daughters, Bailey. Bailey is dating a kid, Martin. Here's the funny thing: Bailey and Martin think that I don't know I'm gay. I do of course. So I need a fun way to come out to them. Simply telling them doesn't seem enough. I know they'd be totally cool with it, so I want to have fun when I tell them. And I'm not attracted to her boyfriend so there aren't any werid "strings attatched". I'm open about so I want it to be cool when they finally find out that. Any ideas?

--------------------
On the subject of coming out:
"Those who care don't matter; those who matter don't care."

Posts: 5 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalinacisne
Activist
Member # 27839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalinacisne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you go to school with them? You could buy a magazine of gay erotica and "accidentaly" have it fall out of your backpack at an opportune moment. Or plaster your binder/locker with pictures of hot shirtless men.

--------------------
amawesome - (adj.) a combination of 'amazing' and 'awesome,' usually by someone who has tied on a few too many. Ex: No, dude, listen! I like, luv ya man! I mean, you're like, amawesome!

Posts: 65 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
le paon
Neophyte
Member # 29896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for le paon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to school with her boyfriend, but she'll be going of to college. That's amazingly rich, though. Brava!

--------------------

Posts: 5 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my drama class acquaintances in high school had a couple of shirts made up - one that said "Yes, I am." and the other, "The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree," with a picture of a little tree befruited with rainbow coloured fruits. They were brilliant, but flew over the heads of a lot of my classmates. Still, I remember him fondly for his hilarious and often biting defense of his orientation in a Catholic high school.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
le paon
Neophyte
Member # 29896

Oh, that's classic! Oh, wow. I'll have to think about that...ha, that's hilarious.

--------------------

Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a friend with several of those shirts too, but in generally, I think you could find a more original way of expressing yourself then buying a mass printed T-Shirt.

"Let's get one thing straight - I'm not."
"Heterosexually Challenged." - two examples.

I've got an idea, but it is just plain bad, and I am not posting it.

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this post title was super intriguing! Not the kind of thing you see every day, eh? Anyhow, I think it's great that you want to make a good memory of your coming out.

Now, I don't know if you're musically inclined, but this one might be even better if you aren't: If you wouldn't be too mortified by it, you could write up a cheesy song and dance routine about your gay-ness (with nothing too explicit) and then perform it for your friends.

If that's not your thing, a variation on the erotic mag idea: You could decorate your room with pictures of guys you think are hot, draw hearts on them, paste pictures of yourself up next to them, all that good stuff, and then invite your friends over to see.

IMO, the shirt idea, while funny, might be a little overdone/cliched. I don't know, though. Whatever you want.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify my original post: my friend hand-painted his own shirts, and this was about seven years ago. So if it's become cliched/mass-produced in the meantime, it was original back then (to my less-worldly high school self, in any case!)

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
le paon
Neophyte
Member # 29896

Ahhhh! Marvelous, simply M-arvelous! Ikeren: Clever little minx, you are. Why won't you post your assumed "bad idea". You should post it. What if it's the perfect thing. Wouldn't you feel awful knowing that you made my coming out boring and ordinary. Please post it! BiGoddess: Top-notch! That's so funny, we're actually writing a musical together, so that's simply hilarious. I should tell Liz about these...see what she thinks...

--------------------

TheWillow
Neophyte
Member # 29924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there! Glad to see someone have fun about coming out, and congrats on everyone being so accepting, and u being so open about it all.

I think the ''Lets get one thing straight - I'm not'' idea is good. But BiGodesses' idea clearly wins. Good luck. Bet u cnt wait to see their faces [Razz]

--------------------
Ask me, don't judge me. Talk to me, i'll talk back. Respect me, i will mirror. We're all only human...

Posts: 3 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Removed: Admittedly, I showed poor judgement, and it served no need. I apologize. Playing on those stereotypes is far to volitile, and I should have used my good judgements.

[ 07-20-2006, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Ikeren ]

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
le paon
Neophyte
Member # 29896

That is unbelievable!! This might be THE one. That's insane and crazy and perfect. Oh my gosh, I can't even think staright, it's hilarious. And seeing as how I'm atheist, it's utterly nuts. Oh, I have to think about this, this might be perfect. Hahaha...

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For future reference?

When you don't feel right posting something like this?

Just don't: we get those instincts for a reason a lot of the time.

Imagine, if you would, how someone who is BOTH gay and Christian might feel reading something like this, who might be going through exactly what you're putting forth as a mockery, especially when we make a point of saying we try hard to make this a safe space for everyone? You just posted something that sent a clear message that it is NOT safe for some.

Scarleteen isn't a place for humour at someone else's expense, nor for approaches which are purposefully divisive. I know you're smart enough and have been here long enough to know that, Ikeren, and able to put those community needs and priorities first before...whatever need it was this served for you.

Seriously? How disappointing.

I think we can be light about coming out -- and I think this thread looking for ways to do so is a great thing to have -- without making fun of tohers.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnowLhite
Neophyte
Member # 29534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnowLhite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! Ooh!

A slogan for bisexuals!

"I'm Bi the way."

And a subtler one for gays:

"If you're happy and you know it clap your hands
*Clap clap (or picture of clapping hands)*"
Or less subtley replace 'happy' with 'gay'

--------------------
"Love and let love."

~Snowy~

Posts: 32 | From: HELL also Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlehottie
Neophyte
Member # 30307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlehottie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats a funny song SnowLhite

[Smile]

Posts: 7 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.