Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Pondering over Pretty Posters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pondering over Pretty Posters
LetMeBeHappy
Neophyte
Member # 28882

Icon 5 posted      Profile for LetMeBeHappy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone!

Hope you can give me ure thoughts on this. Anyone out there who is bi or lesbian, do you think it's weird having pics/posters of stars of the same sex in ure bedroom or where-eva? I was just wondering if any of u guyz/girlz out their have that? Ok this seems stupid writing about this now :S

Anyway, plz tell me ure thoughts...

--------------------
*I died in my dreams reaching out for your hand my fatal desire*

My orientation is just another part of me, let me live, let me be, i am the same person you knew only happier.

Posts: 37 | From: scotland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
origami_jane
Activist
Member # 27369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for origami_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People have posters of anyone they like up on their walls--regardless of sex.

Personally, I wouldn't put up the typical "supermodel" posters that are heavily marketed to guys my age, but only because I don't believe in the standards of beauty and attitudes towards women perpetuated and normalized by those posters.

I might, however, put up prints of paintings that I really like.

It really just comes down to personal preference, IMO, and there isn't a specific rule that lesbians can only have women on their walls, and gay men can only have men on their walls.

Posts: 129 | From: Mid-Atlantic US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetMeBeHappy
Neophyte
Member # 28882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LetMeBeHappy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no i would deffinatly not have pictures of those pervy super models or cheerleer, thats reeli not what i ment (sorry if people thought that). What I reeli ment was people that I admire that just happen to be girls, and yes I may think they r pretty or have a crush on them.

--------------------

My orientation is just another part of me, let me live, let me be, i am the same person you knew only happier.

Posts: 37 | From: scotland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have posters of guys and girls on my walls, and the large majority of them I'm not actually attracted to. I just respect their talents. I mean, honestly, I'm not going to put up a picture of some 50-year old metal artist who never bathes or washes his hair because I like looking at him. That would be just... ick. In the same way that it's perfectly normal to have pictures of cute puppies on your bedroom walls without wanting to... do things to them, it's absolutely fine to have pictures up of people you admire, but aren't attracted to. And hey, even if you do have a crush on one of the girls in the posters on your walls, other people aren't nessacarily going to jump to that conclusion or think it's weird.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetMeBeHappy
Neophyte
Member # 28882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LetMeBeHappy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that a good point i didn't think of that, thanks. but the thing is i share a room with my sister (only at weekends thankfully) and she knows i am bi, but she thinks i am some sort of...a dunno creepy gay weirdo. i know i might be overreacting about this but - well i guess i'm just sprta nervous about people knowing my sexuality...

--------------------

LetMeBeHappy
Neophyte
Member # 28882

thank u everyone for their veiws. anyone elses are welcome [Smile]

--------------------

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone about hanging up posters that you like without worrying about gender. My guess is that your sister is not so much bothered by the posters but by other things. Treating you like you're weird certainly isn't fair or pleasant. How about having a chat where you both get your feelings out. (Because it could be not be about you or your orientation at all.) I would suggestion a private, neutral time and location such as a going on an afternoon walk to the park. I really think an honest discussion could clear things up.
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetMeBeHappy
Neophyte
Member # 28882

thank you vry much for ure advice ecofem, it's a great idea. hopefully then it might be clearer what's bothering ehr so much.

again anyone elses veiws r welcome.

thank you everyone [Smile]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.