Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » i need help coming out and not flipping out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i need help coming out and not flipping out
ilovegurls06
Neophyte
Member # 20224

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ilovegurls06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am so confused about what to do i want to come out of the closet but i dont know how to i mean i live with very christian ppl and i just dont know how to break it to them i need help and ideas ok plz help me!!!
Posts: 3 | From: brunswick | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jethreau'shumblewife
Activist
Member # 17147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jethreau'shumblewife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it your family or everyone in your surroundings who are very Christian?

------------------
would you forgive me, love, if I danced in your shower?

Posts: 59 | From: CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aftertherain89
Neophyte
Member # 20283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aftertherain89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel, especially since I live n the bible belt and I've just started coming out myself.But tell the 1st person you trust, like a close friend. You'll feel so much better afterwards, trust me.Secrets hurt.
Posts: 1 | From: jackson tn, usa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horsedreamer
Neophyte
Member # 20080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horsedreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna recommend [u]Coming Out to Parents[/u] by Mary V. Borhek to you. Look it up on Amazon or your local bookstore. There is a lot of information that you can apply anywhere to anyone who is important to you, not just your parents. It talked about a lot of things that I might not have considered. Actually though, my mom found my copy. I don't suppose that's how it was supposed to work, but my mom is pretty liberal and very loving to begin, so she didn't have a problem with it. I always feel bad in situations like this because for me it was relatively painless. I know for some people it is a very painful event, and I wish I had more experience to share.
Posts: 18 | From: Cobleskill, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illuminatedmind
Activist
Member # 17190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for illuminatedmind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an easy time coming out too, but I've spent some time in workshops. The main thing we were told is that coming out is a very personal thing. Do it when you're ready. But remember it's a tricky process too. If you think it will completely freak your parents, you may want to wait until you're financially independent.
Posts: 198 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out this great article on coming out right here! http://scarleteen.com/gaydar/out.html

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.