Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » straight friends turning gay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: straight friends turning gay
JadeUnicorn
Neophyte
Member # 10244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JadeUnicorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
has anybody ever had a problem with your straight friends telling you that they have a crush on you?
I've got plenty of straight friends and they all know that I'm a lesbian. but I find that more and more of my "straight" friends are telling me that they have a crush on me and want to date me.
so far, I've had 4 "straight" girls tell me that they like me. I was just wondering if its ever happened to anybody else.

------------------
"It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you're not."--Unknown

Posts: 9 | From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe your friends see you as someone who's open enough and confident enough about her sexuality that they can talk to you about the feelings that they're having. Maybe that openness leads them to confide in you about their own sexuality. Maybe your "straight" friends are less straight than you assume they are.

Maybe you're really attractive, or have a winning personality, or both. Maybe you're just a great friend who they feel comfortable with, and they don't know anyone like you.

Maybe one or more of these reasons is what's leading to your current situation.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Take a little time for sunshine/Take a whole lot of time for love/...Take your life as it may come, 'cause boy, it'll be gone soon/Take a little time for howlin' at the moon..." - Sam Bush, "Howlin' at the Moon"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens to me a surprising amount. Although when I like a girl who isn't into girls, my friends always tell me that I should turn her gay.

I thought it was kind of an odd occurence, too.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JadeUnicorn
Neophyte
Member # 10244

Icon 6 posted      Profile for JadeUnicorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a bigger ego I would take all that lemming said to my head. lol. but honestly, lemming, you could be right. I am very open and honest and I do tell people what I think when I think it. so I do believe that these girls become attracted to me because of my honesty, confindence, good looks, and my charms. lol.
DrQuack5, I've been told the same thing before. and it usually works. lol.

Posts: 9 | From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you sound like a great person and a great friend to me. Take it easy. Honesty will get you everywhere ;]
Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, might be worth thinking about how we'd look at this were the shoe on the other foot (even though I'm aware some of this discussion is tongue-in-cheek):

"When I like a girl who isn't into boys, my friends always tell me that I should turn her straight. "

"I've been told the same thing before. and it usually works."

See what I'm saying? Not so pretty the other way round. So please do be aware that while sexuality is, in some respects, fluid, not only is it unlikely any of us -- no matter how amazing our sexual prowess or how stellar our personalities -- can "switch" someone's orientation, it's fairly disrespectful to suggest that we can. And being in and out of GLBT communities for close to a couple decades, I know full well how much most of us dislike it when stright people say they can "switch" us.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nappyafrochik
Neophyte
Member # 11950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nappyafrochik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's happened admittedly by somechicks to me a few times, and some chisk that never admitted it, but others could DEFINITELY see it. including me. i dunno what it is. maybe they always had this view of homosexuality and then they finally meet one and it opens a whole new world (wow i feel liek aladdin)and kinda broadened their horizons, and find that a person is attractive for who they are. or something....i hope i was of help.

------------------
--->O_o<---

Posts: 20 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.