Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Is it bad that I want to go to prom with a guy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it bad that I want to go to prom with a guy?
PolarBear819
Neophyte
Member # 12473

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PolarBear819     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Help!!!!! I'm a les, but for some strange reason I want to go with this one guy to prom. It's weird, I know, but I don't have any feelings for him, and I don't want to date him. I just want him to ask me to prom. What's going on? I've never wanted to do this before? Why now? Why the week after I come out to my mom, and she throws a big fit? I just don't get it. Please help me! Thanks!!!

------------------
~PolarBear

Posts: 3 | From: Torrance, Ca, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone likes to feel wanted and having someone, attracted to them or not, ask you to a big social event can certainly accomplish that.

Even if it's more than that, being attracted to a male shouldn't pose a threat to your attraction to females. Sexuality and attraction are fluid things and subject to change.

As for your mom throwing a fit it might help to give her some resources for other parents of GLBT folk; PFLAG is a good place to start.

[Edited because having the correct url may also help.]

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 04-03-2003).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i'macutie52
Neophyte
Member # 12425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i'macutie52     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey i don't think that it is so strange cuz prom is coming up for me too, so naturally it is easier to go to a public affair with a boy but i am bi. my date and i aren't even really friends or anything. not everyone knows that i am so it is safer for me cuz my family wouldn't be to happy and some friends too. so don't worry just have fun!!!
ashley

Posts: 12 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For starters, not every prom date has to be romantic. Whetner it is or not is up to you.

Why might you want this? Could be a lot of reasons. Maybe you're feeling scared or fearful after coming out and the pressure's been a bit much (especially if you feel you MUST identity solely as a lesbian -- do know that you can always identify yourself as you wish, and if in your life down the road you change your mind, that's okay, too). Or maybe the pressure of going with annother woman scares you and you don't feel ready to be that out yet. Or heck, maybe you just want to go with this guy, because he's who you want to go with. Ultimately, you're the best person to figure out why this is.

But if it really bothers you to do that, or consider doing that, I'd think about it some more and see what conclusions you come to. Suffice it to say, you can want this to happen, but if he does ask, you can also say no if it isn't really what you want to do actively.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBear819
Neophyte
Member # 12473

Icon 14 posted      Profile for PolarBear819     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for your great advise, but I still am lost and confused. The only real thing that I got accomplished with this delimia is that I got my gay best friend to help me pick out my dress. And he agreed to go get a manicure with me! Thanks again, and I'll see about talking to my mother about PFLAG. But she seems to think that this is just a phase. Anyway KIT!

------------------
~PolarBear

Posts: 3 | From: Torrance, Ca, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.