Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » friend came out what do i do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: friend came out what do i do?
Member # 8018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hope this doesnt count as double posting because i did say something about it in my own thread in village people, but since people dont respond or read threads there as much..and it fits here.and if it is wrong then please delete/close.
this guy friend i have just told me he was gay. i havent exactly been close to him lately and now..i have nothing against homosexual or bisexual people, ive known them and stuff before, but.. what do i say?!? what should i tell him?!? im not sure what to do. do i act as if it didnt happen? then he might WANT to talk about it. do i tell him im there for him? but it doesnt help that we havent even been that close lately. hes not totally out, so far only like 3 people know. his parents dont. im really confused. if you ever had this happen what did you do? does anyone have advice? thanks again and sorry if its counts as double, i just wanted an answer and sometimes questions in village arent really answered. sorry if its wrong!

Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no one thing you're "supposed" to say, but one possible response (for example) might be to say that you're glad he felt able to tell you.

That lets him know in a simple way that it's okay with you, and then it's up to him whether he wants to talk more about it.

And remember, he's just the same guy he was before he told you. You two found stuff to talk about then, I'm sure you'll find stuff to talk about now .

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you two can go guy shopping together. I do that with some of my guy friends (or bi girl friends) and it's a blast everytime.

Above all, I would just advise that you let him know that you support him and respect him.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JustSomeGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not sure if he wants to talk about it, don't bring it up. If he does, he'll bring it up. Also, be respectful of who he's out to- bringing up his homosexuality in front of his parents, for example, would NOT be the right thing to do.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.