Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » identity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: identity
Member # 8593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saith166     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking lately, that my identity is all wound up in my sexuality. I can't think about myself without thinking about the fact that I like girls. I'm wondering if anybody has had this experience, and how they distance themselves from their sexuality enough to really look at themselves as a person?
Posts: 8 | From: narberth, PA, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting question... my guess is that it's usually young gay and lesbian people who feel that their identity is all wound up in their sexual orientation.

Straight people usually take their straightness for granted, because, unlike homosexuals, they aren't constantly being questioned or challenged.

I don't know how old you are, or if you're out, but my guess is that when you're older and more comfortable with your sexuality, it will become less of an issue.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la jaunty bohemian
Member # 5735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la jaunty bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely understand this feeling. Completely. I came out as a lesbian a smidge more than a year ago, and I still very much talk about my sexual orientation as my identity.

Lately I haven't been as pressed to come out to everyone, mostly because I'm working as an RA and I need to be sensitive to people who have different opinions/experiences. As in, I can't alienate people right off the bat by blasting them with my sexuality. Also, it's not always an important thing to share in this line of work.

Another thing that made me rethink how I discuss my identity was that I was talking to a man who was very involved as a Christian. We were having a very cool conversation, but I noticed how often he talked about god, and I was kinda like "give it a rest, dude." Then I realized that I work in the fact that I'm a lesbian into almost every conversation, and it made me look at my approach.

I'm still trying to find that line of when it's important to share and when it's not really necessary/appropriate, as well as how much my sexual orientation differentiates me from other people and whether or not that's really important. I'm still workin' on it.

Posts: 105 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.