Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » changing for gym

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: changing for gym
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I did a search, got nothing... so her goes.

School's coming back in for a lot of us. My problem is with changing for gym. See, I'm openly lesbian and am worried that people would freak out and harrass me, saying things like 'Hey! she looked at me while I was changing!' or 'You're in the wrong changing room!' or something.
I'm going into 8th grade in Dallas, Texas, in case there're any regional differences (judging by the dress code forbidding crossdressing, there are.)

Has anyone else had this problem? (okay, someone probably has.) If so, how have you dealt with it? No, I don't want to dress in feminine clothes, that would require changing the contents of my closet and I don't feel comfortable wearing girls'/women's clothes.

------------------
I love children - parboiled. -- W. C. Fields

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mistress_monkey
Activist
Member # 7467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mistress_monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your situation is a tougie sweetie. i have the upmost respect for you for being so open about your sexuality, but unfortunately, lots of people don't feel the same way.

and you know what? thats just people. no matter what you are, lesbian, skinny, fat, pale, black, yellow, purple, whatever, people will ALWAYS find something to make fun of you for. i'm not saying it's okay, or that's how things should be, but it's just the reality of it.

my advice to you: rise above it. if people start making fun of you, they're not worth you acknowledging their existence. i know it's hard to keep a stiff upper lip, but i know you can do it. you just have to believe in and love yourself. and don't worry...everyone isn't like that. you'll find friends, and you'll make enemies. that's what makes life so flavored.

and, no, i wouldn't imagine you'd have to change your wardrobe. i've worn boy clothes for several years (until i was more comfortable with my body) and not many people had a problem with it.

good luck!!!

------------------
Hail Eris! KaAAIXTI! All hail Discordia! 23 Skidoo!

"If you're going to be a non-conformist, you're going to have to wear the uniform."

Posts: 158 | From: grrrrr, nowhere, usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 3 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the whole 'you're in the wrong changing room/toilet' a lot. I'm straight, but I'm a tomboy and for some people in my school tomboy=transsexual. One day I was feeling extremely rebellious so I said 'oh, so I am, thanks for reminding me' and walked into the boys toilets. Not a smart move. I was just digging myself a deeper hole doing that.

I know it's gonna be tough, but try to laugh it off, it'll make them see that it doesn't affect you (it also helps to fight down the urge to bang the person's head against a wall)
*Badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
funky_froggie
Neophyte
Member # 9264

Icon 14 posted      Profile for funky_froggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you that you have the courage to openly admit that you are lesbian especially since the school you're in does not seem to be homosexual friendly. The best thing that i think you can do is ignore them, but if you are really uncomfortable changing in front of them, can you change in a place where they won't watch you? like a bathroom stall or something? I know that it is not good but, if all else fails you could probably do that
Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris3
Neophyte
Member # 9424

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Harris3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came out to my friends and somehow everyone in school ended up knowing I liked girls. Well I was getting dressed for gym and for some reason all the girls when into the bathroom to change. I asked one of the girls what was going on and she said, "No one wants you queer eyes on them!" I failed gym that year because I didn't get changed after that day. I don't know what I'm going to do this coming school year. Help.
Posts: 2 | From: Levittown, Pa, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This year I would change for gym. It's their problem they're homophobic, not yours. Really, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone (unless you actually are sexually harassing them, but that doesn't sound like the case).

And something to consider is maybe it was only the one girl who had a problem with you. Several girls in my P.E. class changed privately and it had nothing to do with my sexuality - I never told them and they weren't the type to believe idle rumors. The one girl I was out to changed publicly, go figure.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hillary
Neophyte
Member # 7061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hillary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had different experiences with this. A lot of people at my school know that I'm gay... and then a lot of people assume that I am. At one point, a lot of people thought that a girl in my row of lockers was gay, and whenever she came in to change, it was like the parting of the red sea. Soon that rumor was dispelled and everything went back to normal. But I am very comfortable with my body, and don't really care WHO sees my body. People can feel that sense of confidence, and won't bother you. And if they do, just assure them "No, really. We are in a LOCKER room. I am changing, and I am not looking at you changing, and I am not at ALL turned on by you." lol.
Posts: 21 | From: LA, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JadeUnicorn
Neophyte
Member # 10244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JadeUnicorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly how you feel about changing for gym. I'm in the same situation. When I came out in eigth grade, everybody sort of stared at me when I went into the gym. I nearly failed the class because I had refused to go into the dressing room because of all the girls were leering at me every time I entered a room.
Now I'm in 10th and I'll have gym next semester. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. People at my school seemed to have matured a lot since middle school. good luck to you.

------------------
"It's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you're not."--Unknown

Posts: 9 | From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.