Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » friends acting weird...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: friends acting weird...
tigerwolf
Neophyte
Member # 5472

Icon 3 posted      Profile for tigerwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering, when you came out to your friends did they start acting different towards you? mine did. we all use to be really close and joked about everything, but then when I came out as a lesbian they sort of backed off. I know that some of it had to with them being afraid that I was going to hit on them. but even now, a year later, they won't make some of the same comments that they did when they all thought I was straight. don't know...

------------------
It's better to be hated for you are than to be loved for what you are not.

Posts: 2 | From: Georgia,USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My normally talkative landlord was awfully quiet when he unexpectedly dropped in to fix something and found me wearing a skirt. Apparently my good friends back home don't really care, but the not-so-good ones don't want to associate with me when I'm wearing lipstick.

Here in Buffalo, I've never been out in a skirt, but nobody seems repelled by lipstick. I haven't disclosed my orientation, so they might think I'm gay, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
Looks won't tell who's living inside.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friends didn't really change at all. I was very lucky to be surrounded by completely brilliant and non-judgemental people, and things were easier because we joked anout gay things as well as straight. Sometimes people aren't really sure how to take the news that you're gay. Maybe if you could talk to one or two about how you feel you could get to the bottom of what they're feeling. Maybe they're just not sure about what you would take offense to or something if they're joking around. Try and talk it out and see what happens. Also, you might have to recognise that these friendships aren't right if your friends cannot accept you for who you are.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy
Neophyte
Member # 6308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Puffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friends were cool with it when I came out to them as a lesbian. But that probably has something to do with the fact that the cast majority of my friends are male. My few female friends though won't even consider accepting it. They still talk to me and stuff but they're always trying to set me up with guys, it's kind of pathetic really.
Posts: 7 | From: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of my friends expected it. If anything, it made us closer because I could share that part of my life with them.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.