Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Sex ed at school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex ed at school
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 5 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I did sex ed at school, we only got information about how to have 'straight' safe sex. They didn't mention gay or lesbian sex at all. I think it's important that people know how to protect themselves whatever kind of sex they are having. A lot of people my age wouldn't use protection to have gay/lesbian sex because they don't know they are supposed to. I'm just wondering what sex ed other people get in school. Do you get taught about what protection to use for lesbian/gay sex?
*lotsa hugs from da bajjah*

[This message has been edited by badly_behaved_badger (edited 04-15-2002).]

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, safer sex procedures stay the same across lines of sexual orientation. People of all orientations have oral (with men and women), manual (with men and women), vaginal (with women), and anal sex (with men and women), and the safety procedures are the same regardless of gender combinations. But it would be nice if more sex education programs discussed sexual orientation as a general topic!

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reality, sex-ed in school only really tells you to "wait until you're married."

But no, all my school discusses is penis-in-vagina sex. No it's not right, and not fair to bi/gayu/lesbians.

And there is something you can do about it! Why not tell your sex-ed teacher that men and women having sex is not the only route.

------------------
Don't Mess With Texas.

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big problem that school sexual education programs face (Jill/ookuotoe can attest to this) is conservative communities and school boards. When schools have a hard time voting beyond whether or not to present abstience as the only option, you can certaintly bet that there's little chance that homo/bi/pansexual activity will even be considered.

The problem is the mindset of people, especially in rural areas where homosexuality isn't at least openly prevelant. While many of us like to believe that alternative lifestyles are more accepted than they truly are.

------------------
Tim
Scarleteen Advocate

"Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the faces you people make mid-coitus." -- Metatron (Dogma)

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.