Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » G.S.A

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G.S.A
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided that since I can't actually start one in our school(its an Irish Catholic schol- and I can't be out) I'm going to pop lts of "suggestions" into the student council box. Hee hee. They won't know what hit them! Its time that our school knows that therer are gay people in our midst, and that we feel so alone sometimes. It probably won't make a difference, but hey, if it brings attention to my cause, what harm can it do?

So, what do u guys think? Pointless exercise or plan of action?

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latter. Go for it. It sounds good. Have fun
Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum16/HTML/000030.html

The thread is mainly about the US but there might be something you can use. Hope this helps.

------------------
There is a time and a place for everything.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for us ignorant types:

what exactly IS a GSA.....?

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Took me a second to figure it out too, cupcake, and I'm supposed to know what's going on around here.

It's an acronym for Gay-Straight Alliance.

------------------
I want to break my legs just so I won't forget to be nice to you.
-Moneen

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also considering writing an anonmyous letter to my principal. If this campaign achieves nothing more than make the powers that be aware that we're here and that the taboo and the silence is killing so many people like me, then I guess I'll be satisfied. There's the sensible part of me telling me not to do it because its pointless though... I've never really been the activist type, 'cept at ST of course... Maybe I could get some other people to write as well.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Guys, do u think I'm insane doing this? I'm so afraid that they'll find out its me, and that I'll get in big trouble or something. Miz S, what would u do?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What *I* would do is likely not the best answer, sweetheart, because I wouldn't have lasted in an Irish-cathloic school for five minutes.

But I think an anonymous suggestion is a fine idea. You may want to add some resources for information, particularly for faith-based organizations of gays and bisexuals like some listed here: http://www.us.net/epf/pages/glbtlink.html

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

I just asked what u would do cos you're all smart and wise. And u usually give really good advise. And you think way better than I do!!
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sittin' there for a little while, going through possibilites. It just didn't click.
I go to a Catholic school, if it helps. Anonymous suggestions sound great. It's anonymous, so you can't get in trouble, and they're aware of Oh wait, hmm.... maybe we should start thinking about this.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also go to a Catholic school (represent! lol) and we are in the process of starting a GSA. We already have a LGBTQ group and have had one for around 10 years. We also recently had two staff development days dedicated towards homosexual issues. I just assumed that most schools were like this and now I'm a bit more thankful for the way my school deals with the issue

But, yes, I strongly agree with the idea of anonymously writing a letter. I mean, it can't hurt.

------------------
Colour Me Embarrassed! : My Cool Blogger

Posts: 81 | From: Hayward, California, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would definitely drop a suggestion!
Do you have any friends you know to be supportive of glbts? Ask them to drop suggestions too!
If there is a demand, they can't just say, well no one would join.
Besides, as my father always says, you don't get what you don't ask for.

Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Ok peeps. this the first draft of my letter to my principal. What do ye think? Any(constructive) criticism?

Dear Mrs. _______,

I am a student in your school. I used to adore every minute, every second I spent here. I lived for schoo. Now, though, something has changed. I still have my classes, I'm stil averaging A's and B's. I still adore all my teahcers, I don't cause trouble for anyonr. I walk these halls the same as every other student, I breathe the same air, I eat the same food, I wear the same uniform. But I'm different to to a lot of students here, but my difference isn't very obvious. In fact, I doubt that you'd pick me out as different in a line up. But I am. I'm gay. Surprise! We do exist within the confines of a convent school. I'm writing to ask you t please, please help us. We're here, silently suffering as oiur classmates become suspicious, and then prey on us and our friends. We can't complain to authority, look at how much worse our position could be! The Catholic regime has forced homosexuality and sexual orientation to be a taboo subject, surrounded by silence, a silence that is killing many members of my particular minority group. There is no support system, nowhere to turn. Miss, please understand, discovering your sexuality at 16 years old in an all girls Catholic school is hell, utter hell. I spent my nights in first and second year rying myself to sleep because I suspected it. I've suffered from depression, and oly for an unbelievably supportive friend I would have killed myself a long time ago. Now, I am in no way blaming this school entirely, but it certainly hasn't helped. What education do we receive about homosexuality and bisexuality? What guidance do we get? The education we have received is feeding the ignorance, fear and hate among the students of this school. The education we receive seems to give the impression that gay people are to be mistrusted, mocked, scorned, have rumours spread about them. You have no idea how hard it is to walk into my classroom every day, with all eyes on me, ad the rumour mill in full swing. All this because they suspect I love women instead of men.

Ok, how am I doing? I actually phyiscally can't type the rest of it. It hurts too much. I might come back and type it later.

[This message has been edited by Slayer_gurl (edited 04-05-2002).]

sapphirecat
Activist
Member # 5317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphirecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow--that's a pretty impressive production so far. *huggggs* Two thoughts:

1. "We can't complain to authority, look how much worse our position could be!" Change the comma to a semicolon; having two separate sentences glued together with a comma is bad.
  2. The line about depression sounds strange to my American ears, but don't worry about changing it if it sounds natural to you.

Perhaps (or perhaps not--you be the judge ), since it's a Catholic school, you want to add something from the Scripture, like John 3:16, Luke 11:17, "love thy neighbor as thyself", or "let he who is blameless cast the first stone" (something like that). Look through the Gospels for more ideas if you need them--Jesus preached love for all.

------------------
Sapphire Cat
Looks won't tell who's living inside.
Artist, poet, programmer, dreamer, and crossdressing bondage kitty

Posts: 235 | From: Louisville KY (St. Matthews) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotbuttered101
Activist
Member # 5538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotbuttered101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's a powerful letter. Well done.

There are just a few incomplete words, but I think that's because you typed it quickly and haven't gone over it. As for what SaohireCat said, if you want to add something religous that is from pro-gay point of view check out www.religoustolerance.com, and www.godlovesfags.com

Posts: 86 | From: South Africa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[big hug] I know this is hard for you so I'm very proud and impressed that you are doing it. I'll have to agree with everyone else's praise - it looks good!

And since you asked for constructive criticism may I suggest that the word "regime" may not be the best choice? It tends to be a very negative word; I hear it most often in conjunction with Nazi. I just think that it might put whoever you're giving this to on the defensive side, which is never good.

Good luck!

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Thanx for your feedbakc guys. I'm going to attempt to write the rest the rest of it now. Right where was I?

All because they suspect I love women instead of men. Not because I murdered someone, bombed a third world country, flew a plane into a skyscraper. Or because I beat the living daylights out of another student or threw a compass at a student teacher. No doubt if I did I'd be hailed a hero. I have had vicious rumours spread about myself and my purely platonic best friend. I'm avoided during lunchtime and I've been called a pervert. During changing time for P.E.(lunch time as it works out) I am kicked out of my clasroom and accused of oogling people if I enter to retrieve my lunch. Also, the way some girls talk, its like I try to get off with half the staff room. My best friend is ostracised along with myself. Please miss, just help me. I feel so trapped. I know that as principal of a Catholic school your hands are tied but surely the message of non discrimination and acceptance can be filtered through. Miss, whatever your personal beliefs, you cannot deny that we are here, we are suffering, and I know for a fact that I am not the only person in my position in this school. In fact, many are in worse,Please, miss I don't want another kid to go through what I did. Maybe they wouldn't come out the other side. The silence is killing us. Literally. It almost killed me. The student coucil are suggesting a new anti racism rule. What about an anti-discrimination rule? Against all groups? Wht about us? I know that according to the religion you follow I am against the laws of God and man. But surely it is more un-Christian to stand idly by while some innocent children are suffering because of who they are? Does the bible not say "Love thy neighbour as thyself"? and "Let he without sin cast the first stone"? Please, if you have to, sow this letter to the teachers, to the people who can tryr and make a difference. If you don't then please filter through to them some of what we're going through. Please make them aware. Please try and filter through the message of acceptance. I beg you not to ignore us. I will not go away. I will fight on for my cause, and if that means teaching the homophobes a lesson myself, so be it. I will not stand by and watch ignorance destroy lives, even if yo are willing to do so.

p.s. Have you ever been afraid of who might be lurking inside the school gates? Welcome to my life.

p.p.s.

Here is a great websitefor parents, friends etc. of gay people. There are some articles that may be of interest to you.
www.pflag.com

Then I'm going to add in a few more web resources. Well, there is my complete letter!!!(Well, sorta, I need to adjust the first part to take in some of the comments I received.) What do you guys think now?

ice_magick
Neophyte
Member # 7369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ice_magick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GO 4 IT !!!!!
Posts: 34 | From: Baltimore,MD,21214 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That letter is could knock me off my feet if I were standing. No kidding. One thing, though:
I'd avoid the flying planes into skyscrapers line. I can't explain this very well, but I think it might stick in your principal's mind in the wrong way somehow. I'm not saying it absolutely would, I just have this sort of air of forboding about it's place in there and it being read by your principal. Like I said, I can't explain it. Just one of my hunches.

You should send it to her. Definitely. Good luck.

------------------
I don't want eternity. But Arashii is mine.

"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

K Thanx for all your help guys. I'm printing it off as I type and getting the envelope ready!!!! God I'm shaking and I haven't even sent it yet!!!
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Well, I know the principal should have got the letter yesterday, but today she was on the intercom and she made a big speech about how messy our classrooms are, how we as a school have always prided ourselves on being environmentally aware. Not one mention about how we should pride ourselves on a place of trust and love and care where no one should be victimised. Guess tidy classrooms are more important that human suffering. I was a fool to think I could do anything that would make a difference...
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 14 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you did make a difference. You set it down for her in undeniable black and white. She may not do anything with that knowledge but now it is there, where it wasn't before.

Also keep in mind that starting a student group of any kind rarely happens over night. She probably wants to/is required to discuss it with other staff members, the school board etc. Give it some time. If nothing happens have someone else write a second letter.

Congratulations for taking that first step. I hope your principal takes the second.

goblin_girl01
Neophyte
Member # 7389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goblin_girl01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was soooo brave of you!!! ^_^ Congrats...
It sounds like you son't think you made a difference... but you probably did. Even making the principal THINK about it is a step.. maybe you counld get some other people to write letters, like you friend you mentioned in the note? The more students that write, the more she has to listen!

Lotsa hugs to you!

------------------
"This computer makes me all frowny with pure nougat-filled hatred!"
-Jhonen Vasquez

Posts: 13 | From: Boulder, CO | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Thanx guys. Its just, I know that big things don't happen overnight, but, I just thought she might make an abstract reference to it you know? At least pretend that she cared. I just feel kinda betrayed and sort of more unprotected than before. At least, before I could say, oh she doesn't know, she can't help, but now she does so what's her excuse? There's a staff meeting every Tuesday, so she might mention it then or something, but I won't be in school so if she makes an announcement then I won't know. If I think there's not enough being done then I'll ask another person I know to write a letter to her. And another girl i know might. I'm not going to give up or go awway. And its good to know I have Miz S and the gang behind me.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.