Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Homophobes at school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homophobes at school
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 8 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyday it's the same thing. It seems like well over half my classmates use the word faggot every day. In the halls, in my classes, on the bus...it doesn't matter where I am, someone is calling someone a faggot or exclaiming "Oh my god. That is soooo gay!!"
I'm getting sick of it. I've tried saying something about it when people say stuff like that, I ask them to use a different word or sometimes during class when someone say something like "Oh that movie is so gay," I'll say, "I didn't know movies had a sexual orientation." Of course, it never helps.
My school doesn't have a GSA or anything like that. Even some of the administration pretends that GLBT students just don't exist. Last year in sex ed our teacher wouldn't even talk about anything other than heterosexual sex stuff.
I'm just tired of feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I know I'm not and I'm tired of hearing people be so hateful towards GLBT. But I just don't know what to do or say anymore, ad it's driving me crazy.

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nakedfairy
Neophyte
Member # 7338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nakedfairy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have that problem nearly as bad as you do, probably because I go to an all girls school where most people have got over their homophobia. I do really really hate it when my friends use gay as a derogatory term, though. It makes me so angry. I decided to combat their misuse of 'gay' by trying out 'straight' as a derogatory term. It confused the hell out of a lot of people for a while, but it's started to get the message across. Give it a go, I reckon.

------------------
'A kiss is a lovely trick
designed by nature to
stop speech when
words become
superfluous' - Ingrid
Bergman

Posts: 6 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ha ha! saying straight instead of gay. this is something i really could never have thought about!

i think in my school people say gay (by the way my school is a french one, in quebec) just because it looks like "cool" saying such a thing. by example, there was this guy who was trying to insult a girl by telling her she was gay, but he was using a word that only applied to boys.

or an example that we say some things just because of what sounds "cool", when we were youngers, the well-know insult was newfie. but being french (and young) we had no idea what was a newfie, we thought it was spelled "gnoofy" and that it was just an ok synonym for stupid or idiot.

but personally, and my friends, we never use "gay" to insult.

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks the idea about using straight in place of gay. I would have never thought of that.
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know I hear that a lot too. Even though I am not gay, or bi, or anything along those lines, I find it rude.

My boyfriend uses that word "faggot" a lot. I always tell him that its so distasteful, and its rude. If I hear anyone using that word, I just tell them to shut their mouths, because its so rude.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...good idea using straight as an insult instead...
My friends and I have started using the word gay as a compliment. It really confuses the hell out of other people, but it a lot of fun.

Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really makes me feel cross when people use the word gay as an insult. The trouble is, loads of people do it, even my best friends (bless 'em). If I hear someone saying those sort of things, I just give 'em a piece of my mind. I can't say it's made me popular, but I am not the sort of person to stand and watch people being ignorant and homophobic!*lotsa hugs from da bajjah*
Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarathustrav
Neophyte
Member # 6962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarathustrav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the most disturbing things you will ever learn (if you haven't already).

From Webster's New World Dictionary, Second College Edition:
"Faggot: ... [Slang] a male homosexual...
Faggot: ... a bundle of sticks, twigs, and branches, esp. for use as fuel..."
(elipsises=pronounciation and such)

See the connection?

------------------
De Omnibus Dubitandem
-Descartes

Posts: 5 | From: Skokie, Illinois, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the Spanish Inquisition in the 15th century, homosexual prisoners were forced to collect wood for the Inquisition's witch-burning fires--and their own bodies were then used to fuel the pyres when the flames died out.

Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goblin_girl01
Neophyte
Member # 7389

Icon 6 posted      Profile for goblin_girl01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had several forms of this problem at my school... there are people who use "gay" as an insult w/out thinking and don't really mean any harm... these people are just misguided and need it called to their attention.

Then there's the group who think homophobia is something to be proud of.... grr. Unfortunatly, in most cases these people won't listen to anyone but themselves.

And there are people who are just curious and don't know how to ask the right questions w/out insulting people.

I recently came out to some of my friends that I was bi.. they were totally cool, but obviously some of them are gossips cuz a lot of people I barely knew had heard my "big news" by the end of the day. One girl ran up to me and said "Oh, wow, you're really a fairy??" So the next day I came to school in fairy wings, a tinsel wig, and sparkley make up. I think the best way to deal w/ most people is to lightne things up a bit.

A lot of people still blurt out questions that sound really weird ("Why are you bi?" is a popular one...), and some people have made it their life's work to torture me, but because I can joke about it everything seems okay... ^-^

------------------
"This computer makes me all frowny with pure nougat-filled hatred!"
-Jhonen Vasquez

Posts: 13 | From: Boulder, CO | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.