Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » validity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: validity
nakedfairy
Neophyte
Member # 7338

Icon 5 posted      Profile for nakedfairy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 15, and bisexual. I have recently come out about this, but I've only told my closest friends, none of whom are gay or bi. They all seem to think being bisexual is greedy! It feels like I should be jumping down one side or other of the bisexual fence, but I'm not ready to choose which one. I guess what my friends have really made me think is that being bi is not a valid sexuality, although I know I really am attracted to guys and girls.
Someone put me right on this one!

------------------
'A kiss is a lovely trick
designed by nature to
stop speech when
words become
superfluous' - Ingrid
Bergman

Posts: 6 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clav
Activist
Member # 678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bi - and when anyone ever says that I'm just being greedy (which they sometimes do even now...), I just look and them, give a grin and just say 'and?'. THat normally confuses them and shuts them up!!! (although I do have a reputation for being a bit sarky about everything, maybe that wouldn't work for you)

You say you know you really are attracted to boys and girls? Sounds valid enough to me. Seriously - if you have to *choose* (as in - i like both, but can only have one) a way to go, it isn't the right thing to do. If it comes naturally to you to be attracted to all genders, then go with it...

Sorry if I'm rambliing, but it's midnight here and have just finished a horrible essay for uni
(he's back! and with internet access at home!)

Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bisexuality is most certainly a valid sexual orientation. And there's nothing "greedy" about it, although that's a common misconception.

If you're attracted to both males and females, and you want to call yourself bisexual, go right ahead. It's your life and your sexual orientation, so you can call it anything you want.

Here are links to three articles from our Gaydar section that I thought you might find interesting, if you haven't already read them:

The Bees and...the Bees - A Homosexuality and Bisexuality Primer

Bi the Dozen - A Bisexuality Quiz

Don't Let the Door Hit You on the Way Out (Or, How to Come Out of the Closet Without Tripping Over the Laundry)

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I identify as being bisexual. No one has ever called me greedy, but usually the connotations are three-somes, group sex, incredible kinkiness, and incredible horniness. Not to say that I'm not any of those things, but it makes me angry that people make these connotations.

I just try to tell people that to me it doesn't matter which gender someone is, and when I like someone it's not for what genitals they have. *shrugs* it gets easier, it really does.

When I first started telling people I got harassing phone calls, a lot of crap from people of all sexual orientations, and a lot of nervous straight girls in the locker room. Now it's not a big deal at all. Every now and then someone will ask me if it's true that I like girls. I shrug and tell them yeah. And that's sort of that.

*smooches*

Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.