Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » prenatal influences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: prenatal influences
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm SURE I saw something about thsi kind of thing floating around somewheres, but gosh darn it, I can't find the darn thing. GRR.

I was just watching a show on CTV about how they figure gay men came to be. (that sounds wierd... that's what they said... hmm...)

They were saying something about how whenever a boy fetus develops there is an increased risk for some virus. So the mother's immune system sends certain antibodies to destroy this infection.
These antibodies inhibit the development of certain parts of the male brain, specifically the part that controls attraction to women.
AND with each male child, these antibodies get stronger, hence the theory that the more older brothers a guy has, the higher the chance he'll be gay.
Apparently female children have no effect on the immune system.

Now that sounds to me like a polite way to say gay men are brain damaged, but maybe that's just me.

Thought this show was rather intresting, actually.

Any comments?

(mods if i'm just blind and couldn't find the thread I'm thiking of, please tell me. I'll invest in glasses. I swear it was there somewhere..... grr.)

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it need to also apply to females?
I mean, if it were something like this, why would it only apply for one gender? It doesn't make too much sense to me...most of the gay males I know are the oldest children in their families.

Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I gay then? I don't buy it.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It only applies to one gender because it's Y-chromosome dependent. If I recall right, the rest of the show linked being lesbian to a more masculine body type (idea sort of works for some women), and said that otherwise they just don't know why some women are gay and others aren't.

------------------
'Every day is like Sunday'

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I understand that. But I meant, if something is the cause of homosexuality, shouldn't it apply for both genders? Otherwise, it makes no sense.
Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard something about prenatal influences, but nothing about that theory.

The one I've heard deals with females getting higher testosterone levels and males getting more estrogen levels than average, which then increases the chances of them being homosexual. ...it's something like that...

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all due respect, I think those sort of theories are doomed to failiure. The human brain is such a complex thing that no one thing can cause it to grow in one particular way. Besides that, the environmental and cultural factors add another layer of complexity to the situation. This means you dont just ask why people are gay, you ought to ask why people are straight!

I feel that any theory that tries to reduce an entire field of pyschology to something that can be explained in a TV show is pretty worthless.

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, hey, hey.
i just brought it up cause i thought it was an intresting concept, and something people have a lot of different opiniions on.
geez.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. My apologies, especially to cupcake. The theories *are* interesting.

Although I wonder... if scientists find a biological cause for homosexuality and bisexuality, will it make people any more accepting of LGBT people?

[This message has been edited by TenohSetsuna (edited 01-27-2002).]

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

accepted

I'm not seeing it going to happen... nice idea though....

i think it's something only time can help. which sucks.

Zeno
Neophyte
Member # 5125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, Confused boy. Of course human psychology is a very complex matter, where both biological and environmental factors play a role. But it's simply impossible to form a holistic theory of what's going on without also concentrating on the small parts.
I also doubt that the theory 'tries to reduce an entire field of psychology to something that can be explained in a TV show'. Although I'm certainly no expert on the matter, I'm pretty sure that the scientists involved know their statistics, and that none of them ever claimed that this or that would 'make you gay' beyond doubt.

I also don't think that they're saying that 'gay men are brain damaged' as cupcake said. I believe that nature doesn't give us any reason to classify _any_ phenomenon as a bad thing or a virtue. It's mankind that categorizes (with pretty ugly results sometimes, I must agree).

Posts: 8 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

It's just the way they said it... I was like, huh? That's kinda how it came out.

Sounds pretty messed to me.

The show didn't go and say everything can be attributed to that. Albeit I didn't watch all of it (the homophobic mother walked in the room), but they went through a bunch of different biological theories about it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.